Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2006 tj with 145k miles on 4.0 and six speed manual transmission. I have a loud howling or whirling noise from 0 to 60 or so when the transmission is in gear. No noises when the clutch pedal is depressed and the noise goes away in higher gears. I took it over to a friend who says he thinks the transmission might be shot but I was hoping I could get a second opinion from you guys before I dropped big $$$

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone ever experienced this? I am having the trans fluid swapped out today. Looked for a tranny for a swap and have not had any luck yet.

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
Throw out bearing makes noise when clutch is depressed as that is the only time it spins

So does NOT at all sound like a bad throwout bearing

If tranny is to be replaced consider either of the 5spds found in TJ behind the 4.0 but do not consider the weaker ones used with the four cylinder TJs

A brand new ax-15 may well cost less than rebuilding the German six speed

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 6 spd manual trannys have a reputation for being problem prone. Lots of posts on this website about them. Others on here can tell you what you'll need to swap to a 5 spd, which I'd recommend if you're having to replace the tranny. If you're lucky, maybe a 5 spd will just bolt right in. If you do replace your trans, and unless your clutch has been rebuilt recently, be sure to replace clutch disc, T/O brng and pressure plate while you're in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts