Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got new wheel bearing carrier hub assemblies for my Dana 30, any suggestions on easiest way to pull entire hub before I get out the BFH? Gonna rent a puller from my local autozone, but the Caliper bolts were a PITA to get off, the bearing bolts were not as bad, but not looking like a piece of cake for the hub. LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can somebody please move me to YJ tech forum, Parked in wrong section, Sorry

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Reactions: Got it at last

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice!!!, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Leave the rotor on then stick a screw driver in the top down one of the slots...let it rest on the spindal...then eat some wheaties find a 32mm socket and breaker bar...that axel nit should come right off...only takes one set of hands..

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the nut off with an impact, easy enough, thank you pb blaster overnight. Did the socket thing and got the hub off ok. Next question. Was the whole axle, yoke and all supposed to slide out?

Still need to separate the hub from the splines on the axle. If it matters I'm working on the passenger side.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
To free up the axle seized to the hub, get a hub puller and snug it up with the impact. Then just wail on that sucker with a hammer and keep tightening it up.

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To free up the axle seized to the hub, get a hub puller and snug it up with the impact. Then just wail on that sucker with a hammer and keep tightening it up.
Exactly what I did. Broke my good 3/8" torque wrench leaning on it. then I went to the 1/2" 24in HFT breaker bar and jumped up and down a couple hundred times. Finally popped and slid the rest of the way

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Exactly what I did. Broke my good 3/8" torque wrench leaning on it. then I went to the 1/2" 24in HFT breaker bar and jumped up and down a couple hundred times. Finally popped and slid the rest of the way
You planning of replacing the ujoints? I don't think mine had ever been changed...took a 20 ton press and torch...when they finally move it sounded like a shotgun going off...lol

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine are still tight, Not planning on touching those with a 10ft pole. If I ever have to go down that road it will be all new starting with the axles out.

Just got done with the Drivers side, Barely took an hour after pulling the wheel off last night and spraying everything down to soak in overnight. Waiting on Fedex today to replace the busted Tranny Mount I found last week. The Fun never ends...Did I mention it's 101 outside with no shade.:lmao:

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Mine are still tight, Not planning on touching those with a 10ft pole. If I ever have to go down that road it will be all new starting with the axles out.

Just got done with the Drivers side, Barely took an hour after pulling the wheel off last night and spraying everything down to soak in overnight. Waiting on Fedex today to replace the busted Tranny Mount I found last week. The Fun never ends...Did I mention it's 101 outside with no shade.:lmao:
I'll take the old axles...

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AX-15 swap coming 1st, then you can have them

Reactions: sccritterkiller

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Sorry for hot weather...its been 85 here with no humidity since Sun...58 at sunrise this morning...if you live in the Carolinas and you haven't taken the top off your Jeep the last couple days...just go ahead and sell it...you don't know what you have.

You going external on your swap?

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah most definitely, Starting a shopping list, Flywheel back. Buts that's a whole 'nother thread.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Keep us posted...one of the best mods I did going with external...snice 90 we have had to swap the internal twice this time would be the last. It's not hard at all just make sure you get the pilot bearing for the year of the tranny not the jeep.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Take the bolts off that hold the wheel hub on, and then while holding it use an air hammer on the center of the axle (in the indent) to push it through the hub. Love my air tools.....

·
Registered
723 Posts
Use the Power Steering to dislodge the Unit Bearing. I use a chuck of steel 1" thick, 2" wide and 4" long. However, the Dana 30 unit bearing usually pops right out with an a hardened 1/2" extension.

Screw the three bolts holding the unit bearing mostly in. Leave the bolts out 1/4" to 1/2". Place the steel between the bolts and knuckle. With engine running and front end properly supported have your assistant turn the steering wheel allowing the steel to push on the unit bearing bolts. Move steel from side to side while slowly unscrewing the bolts. The unit bearing should be out within minutes.

When installing, be sure to use lots of anti-seize on the unit bearing metal to metal surfaces. The next time the unit bearing will easily pop right out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just went to the hardware store and picked up some 12mm x 1.75 pitch thread impact adapters (hex head bolts), screwed them into the hub and gave them a couple good whacks with a 4# bfh. It popped right out. I even took a picture of them before impacting them. :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts