Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just agreed to purchase my new Jeep from a family friend. The vehicle is being driven down to his dealership from a different state as I type this (he works for Ford, its coming from a Jeep dealership he knows). I wanted a different color originally, but got a great deal on this one so I pulled the trigger and told him to have it transferred over.

Now, the day before its going to show up, I am seriously regretting the color and wanting to change. I haven't signed anything, so I know I'm not on the hook for it, but I'm worried that if I back out now I'm going to:

a) hang my friend out to dry and ruin his relationship with the other dealer.
b) ruin my relationship with my friend because I told him I wanted it and go ahead and have it driven over to us.
c) not be able to go through my friend on the "other jeep" now, thus losing my great connection (obviously the friendship thing is most important, I'm sure I could still find a decent deal).

Any advice from a person who has experience working in a dealership would be appreciated. Would this be that big of a deal if I back out now? I value his friendship more than the color of my Jeep, lol. I could keep it, but if you think its no big deal I would obviously like to have the Jeep that makes me most happy to own.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Never worked at a dealership before, but I feel that you answered your own question a couple of times on your post.
The guy to talk to would be your friend. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Here, a mans word is his bond. You decide.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I worked at a dealership for 9 years (not Jeep). We never did bring in a car of different mfg. However if we brought a vehicle in from another dealer and did not swap one of our cars for it, we would pick up that car with a check for the dealer price. They may end up owning the car unless some other arrangements were made.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did a stint at a dealer. Lot of cost in transferring the rig. Someone being paid to drive and someone in a chase car to bring them home. Paperwork costs $ as well. If your friend is the head honcho it might be ok. If he is a sales person I would say let it ride.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Simple. You don't want to ruin the relationship. Get it repainted to the color you want lol. Get it Camolined. Or Linexd

·
Registered
728 Posts
What colors are we talking? Maybe we can talk you into the color of the one being delivered, and all will be good. ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Paint is one the easier upgrades you can make, if you like the jeep (other than the color) get it and take it to the paint booth...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Keep the jeep. The color has nothing to do with anything and should not matter cuz you can change it anytime you like.

I'm driving a black jeep but I want a yellow one. I'm still happy cuz it's a jeep. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Never mix friendships and money/business deals. Dealerships are out to fleece as much money as they can from buyers. I'm out to get the absolute lowest price I can get from a dealership. I'd f-over a dealer in a second to save 10 bucks and not loose a second of sleep. Dealerships are not my friend, they are thieves. I dont take any car purchase personal, it's all about the lowest price and I always pit them against one another and always pay below invoice. Talk to your friend and explain the situ.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Cars, Real Estate, and home remodeling are things I only do with complete strangers, I always get a better deal in the end and no drama.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So... what was the outcome? Inquiring minds want to know :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I kept it, lol. I did tell him about my cold feet and that I was thinking about changing my mind though and he said he wouldn't have cared in the least bit. :)

Whether or not that would have been his same response if I did change my my mind, I will never know. I would have at the very least covered fuel and man hour costs with the other dealer for transferring it over, but the miles put on the vehicle was what worried me most.

Its black. I've always liked black vehicles. I just started browsing through a ton of pictures of other rigs and started to fall in love with red and tank green (my top 2 colors when I first started thinking about buying one).

Thanks for your responses. I can't wait to pick her up. Should be able to make it out there tomorrow!

:iamhappy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts