Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 JK.

The Jeep has this mini radiator in front of the main radiator (it's all stock) and the mini radiator is always wet, you can run your fingers across the fins and they will be soaking wet. Today after a short drive a little steam was coming out when I opened my hood, not a ton but it was definitely visible. Nothings dripping on the ground but I did have a good amount of fluid on the ground just a little while a ago after turning just before parking, it must have been resting on something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic, you can see the darker radiator (cause it's wet) in front the main larger radiator ..

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the condenser for the a/c.
Thank you. What would make it wet like that? Could it be a hose above or is there just a leak/puncture somewhere? Hope it's not to expensive ..

Is it okay to drive it for a week even though it's leaking, I'm not using the air and it's still leaking ...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
If it were leaking you would have no A/C. Water does not go through it, just the refrigerant gas (which at that point is a liquid, but not water, and is under pressure). With the A/C running it should be very warm.

The other coil in the A/C system is inside the cabin and it is what cools the air. It should always be wet if the A/C is running and drips out a tube onto the ground (the puddle of water you leave in the parking lot if you are only there a few minutes). It is wet, because it is cold and pulls the moisture out of the air as the air passes through it.

The reason I asked is that on 4DR automatics there is a transmission oil cooler up there as well. It would have transmission oil in it.

Are you losing any coolant out of the main radiator? I'm wondering if there may be a pin hole leak in the main radiator squirting into the A/C condenser coil.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't appear to be losing any radiator fluid, the overfill container hasn't changed, but this just started this weekend. The mold counts have been very high, I never use the air conditioner but did the other day all the way to work, about a 35 minute drive. I hate to go to the dealership because an OEM condenser is like 285 and a knock off is 85 bucks, I could care less about the air, I just roll down the windows. Thing is it's leaking so I've got to fix it. I do think the fan was all wet, but the thing is the main radiator doesn't appear to be wet, but it could be squirt on the front one, I'd have to take that cover off over the top of it to really tell what is going on, thank for your input.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Two years ago I had a problem with my home A/C - no cooling. The service tech came out and I have always watched them (used to install ducts and set units during the summer when I was going to school many decades ago). He put the gauges on it and nada, no pressure. He then filled the unit with refrigerant that had dye in it, and it lit up like a christmas tree. He ordered a new unit to be delivered so he could install it the next Monday (this was on a Friday). He left with the unit full and cooling - it lasted 4 hours. Fortunately, it was spring and the temp was tolerable with fans.

The previous year it was the condensing coil as well as the compressor on my Ram 2500 :pullinghair:. The point is the symptom of leaking refrigerant from the A/C system is no cooling. You could take it to a good independent mechanic, or the dealer and have them put gauges on the A/C and check the levels (that's the only way to do it is to check the pressures). It is possible you have a small early detected leak which is leaving oil residue behind. The refrigerant has oil in it that circulates through the system to lubricate the compressor. Of course that coil sits out in front exposed to anything that passes through the grill. BTW, that large tank next to it is also part of the A/C system.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If your A/C is working then there isn't a leak. It would be condensation. If your A/C isn't working then there would be a leak. The refrigerant would leak out along with the oil that's mixed with it to lubricate the system. It would appear as "wet". If you had an 07 auto., the trans. cooler wouldn't be separate like the new JK's. The cooler would actually be incorporated into the lower portion of the A/C condenser. Since you have a manual it's a non issue.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A/C is working just fine, definitely cold. It's really weird though, when I run it my exhaust or engine down underneath makes a very strange sound, almost like a clicking, sounds almost like it's coming out of cats when I run the air. Still might be such a small leak at this point my air is still working. The strange thing is it stays wet for ever, like a whole day to dry out. Going to take it in tomorrow. The strange noise it makes when running freaks me out, probably nothing, it's coming from down under, like a jumbling noise, hard to explain

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
A/C is working just fine, definitely cold. It's really weird though, when I run it my exhaust or engine down underneath makes a very strange sound, almost like a clicking, sounds almost like it's coming out of cats when I run the air. Still might be such a small leak at this point my air is still working. The strange thing is it stays wet for ever, like a whole day to dry out. Going to take it in tomorrow. The strange noise it makes when running freaks me out, probably nothing, it's coming from down under, like a jumbling noise, hard to explain
When the A/C compressor runs, it "cycles". The compressor doesn't stay constantly on. When it cycles it can make what sounds like a clicking sound. Maybe you have a slight leak, but in my experience when there's a leak it doesn't stop leaking. It will continue to leak until the system is dry and the A/C will no longer work. It sounds like the best thing at this point is to take it in and see what the problem actually is, if there is one. At least you'll know. However, I have to say that if it's "drying out" that's an indication of condensation. The refrigerant and oil that's mixed with it will not dry out. You will get a lot of condensation when the weather condition is very humid. I hope you actually don't have a problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got back from a 30 minute ride. The first half with the air on. Everything was fine, the condenser was wet when I got gas (at the half way point) so I took a towel from the gas station got it soaked and drove home with out the air on the air temp gauge on hot. The condenser is still wait but I guess it takes a while to dry out, it's not wet in the same pattern it was last night, it's just the lower half now. Jeep ran dead center temp, still no loss of coolant. The towel was almost completely dry when I got home so I'm 99% sure it's not oil.

Here's what I think happened.

Last night I was decorating the Jeep as our Jeep club is in our towns 4th of July parade. I noticed the grill and then after I did a test run on the decorations I took them all off and hit the grill with the hose. I had also washed the car before putting the decorations on. My thinking is that when we got to church this morning for some reason there was water still pooled up somewhere (I hadn't driven it since washing/spraying), possibly on top of the radiator or in the frame of the hood or something as I have louvers on it. Then when I put it in reverse and swung around and backed up I noticed a good trace of what appeared to be water on the parking lot. I opened the hood and small of amount of steam was coming out, I could see the fan was wet, but like it had been splashed. It hasn't happened again, I think I was a victim of circumstances. Jeeps make you into Mechanical Hypochondriac's with so many things breaking all the time. I'm not going to the shop, I think it's fine. The air was ice cold the whole way.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I just got back from a 30 minute ride. The first half with the air on. Everything was fine, the condenser was wet when I got gas (at the half way point) so I took a towel from the gas station got it soaked and drove home with out the air on the air temp gauge on hot. The condenser is still wait but I guess it takes a while to dry out, it's not wet in the same pattern it was last night, it's just the lower half now. Jeep ran dead center temp, still no loss of coolant. The towel was almost completely dry when I got home so I'm 99% sure it's not oil.

Here's what I think happened.

Last night I was decorating the Jeep as our Jeep club is in our towns 4th of July parade. I noticed the grill and then after I did a test run on the decorations I took them all off and hit the grill with the hose. I had also washed the car before putting the decorations on. My thinking is that when we got to church this morning for some reason there was water still pooled up somewhere (I hadn't driven it since washing/spraying), possibly on top of the radiator or in the frame of the hood or something as I have louvers on it. Then when I put it in reverse and swung around and backed up I noticed a good trace of what appeared to be water on the parking lot. I opened the hood and small of amount of steam was coming out, I could see the fan was wet, but like it had been splashed. It hasn't happened again, I think I was a victim of circumstances. Jeeps make you into Mechanical Hypochondriac's with so many things breaking all the time. I'm not going to the shop, I think it's fine. The air was ice cold the whole way.
You're good. No need to spend $. :thumb:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I never use the air so am just not used to it. It's weird that 2.5 hours later I went out and checked and that dang condenser is still wet like it hasn't dried a bit, where it's wet it's pretty cold so it must be condensation, man does that thing stay cold a long time

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it's been six hours and the condenser is still wet, it should be bone dry, definitely some kind of leak, my guess is it will still be wet in the morning, going to take it into the shop, uggh !

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Well, it's been six hours and the condenser is still wet, it should be bone dry, definitely some kind of leak, my guess is it will still be wet in the morning, going to take it into the shop, uggh !
I don't really think it's going to dry sitting in 6 hrs., but it doesn't hurt to have it checked. It's hard to diagnose without actually looking at it, but what's in your favor is that the A/C is blowing cold. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts