Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to purchase new Rancho shocks for my 2015 Rubi Unlimited but cannot decide which shocks would be best for my needs.

My jeep has an aluminum Rock Hard front bumper, 10,000 Smittybilt winch (synthetic line), ARB rear bumper, and Gobi roof rack.

The jeep is my DD but is used in lots of roles; I pull it behind my truck camper, the jeep will pull a trailer, in order to support my rock hounding, stargazing, and overlanding activities.

The towing truck has Rancho 9000XL and they work great. While I do not envision towing with the jeep often, I wonder if all the extra weight justify the 9000s, but for some reason I really like what I have read about the 5000X shocks.

Does anyone have any guidance on which shocks would serve me best (and why)?

Thank you...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
From what I have heard, the 5000s are like the 9000s on the "5" setting. On my JK I have them set to 4, tried 3 but as soon as it warmed up, they became squirrely on the highway and back to 4 they went. The reason that I did go the 9000s was that I like what I like and I can tune them to what I like vs. what an engineer thinks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did the same research some time back and agree with WillyD. For me it came down to how often I would find the need to adjust them. If you do a lot of off-roading and find yourself in different terrains, then the versatility of the 9000s is big and likely justifies the higher cost.

I ended up with the 5000s because I would have kept the 9000s in the 4 or 5 setting about 95% of the time so it didn't make sense to spend the extra cash, which I could use for other upgrades like lighting, etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the 5000X shocks on my YJ. One thing to note, Rancho is offering a rebate right now when you buy 4 shocks, or a lift kit. I've noticed that the 5000X shocks are very good at absorbing large bumps. When I used to turn into my driveway (dirt road, with many bumps) I would hear the wheel rub against my fender flares. With the 5000X shocks all the noise is gone. No more rubbing, and a much softer ride. I can actually take R.R. crossings at 35 now without worrying if my spine is going to fuse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank y'all,

It gets a little more complex with the discounts and rebates regarding Rancho shocks. It looks like the net cost for the 9000s could as cheap as $220 or so. But I am trying to buy the best thing for my use as apposed to price.

Thank you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The 5000's maybe at the same firmness at 4-5 but perform differently. The valving between the two shocks is far different. If you want a cushy shock choose the 9000. If you want a better performing shock choose the 5000x.
Are you saying that the 5000x shocks are stiffer than what you can set the 9000's at?

I ask because I'm looking to buy shocks real soon (once Rancho gets back to me with the correct sn's), and I was gonna go with the 9000's because of the adjustability. But if the 9000's can't be adjusted enough to be as firm as the 5000's, then I might need to reconsider.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Are you saying that the 5000x shocks are stiffer than what you can set the 9000's at? I ask because I'm looking to buy shocks real soon (once Rancho gets back to me with the correct sn's), and I was gonna go with the 9000's because of the adjustability. But if the 9000's can't be adjusted enough to be as firm as the 5000's, then I might need to reconsider.
No the 9000's on 9 is crazy stiff lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
No the 9000's on 9 is crazy stiff lol
Ok cool....as long as I can tone them down. I current have an AEV 2.5" coil lift with the Bilstein 5100's and they ride rough on my 2-door. Everything I'm reading about Rancho (either 5000's or 9000's) is that they perform better than the Bilstein 5100's.

·
Super Moderator
21,968 Posts
I swapped out my 5000X's for 5100's on my RK lift and while I like the 5100's especially on the road I think the 5000x's are an all around nicer ride on and off road. Not that the 5100's are bad just the 5000X's are unique in they are firm when you want firm and soft when you want soft. hard to explain. jaysport14 has my 5000x's and swapped them for his 9000's and he told me it feels better with the 5000's. I have yet to hear anyone who has not made the switch from 9000's to 5000x's that was not satisfied.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
I swapped out my 5000X's for 5100's on my RK lift and while I like the 5100's especially on the road I think the 5000x's are an all around nicer ride on and off road. Not that the 5100's are bad just the 5000X's are unique in they are firm when you want firm and soft when you want soft. hard to explain. jaysport14 has my 5000x's and swapped them for his 9000's and he told me it feels better with the 5000's. I have yet to hear anyone who has not made the switch from 9000's to 5000x's that was not satisfied.
I've had 9000's on other rigs in the past, my experience is that they're nice...except they fade a lot easier than Rancho's other offerings.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Shocks are such a personal preference, it is very hard to say pick this or that. I have 9000s on my dodge and 5000x on my JKUR. I was going to go high end shock when I replaced the stockers on my JKUR, picked Kings. But the Rancho company swayed me to purchase them again. They sent me a full set of replacements for my truck FOC. That is standing behind your products, since I purchased them in 2002 and had 250k miles on them.

Pick either and you can't go wrong, the 90 exchange is something they stand behind. Switching out shocks takes all of 30 minutes.

Get the 5000x, since they are less $$ and if you don't like them swap them and pay the difference!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got a full set of Rancho 9000's from craigslist with a TF Leveling kit, along with some other parts for $200. I'm now to the Jeep world and I have been told I have a good set of shocks, now I just have to figure out how to put them to the best use.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So how does one go about ordering the correct length shock? I have a 2.5" coil lift, but I think I got more than 2.5 inches of lift - maybe 3 inches, but not exactly sure. Rancho's site has an option for a 2.5" or 3" lift.....so how do you pick??

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just installed the 5000X's with the Rancho 2" Sportlift and control arm extensions and so far they blow away the stockers. Big bumps, corning, etc. - all are much improved, although I haven't been on the highway. I also run 5100's on my 2005 Tacoma TRD DC 4WD and they are also great - smooth at speed and good with bumps.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
So how does one go about ordering the correct length shock? I have a 2.5" coil lift, but I think I got more than 2.5 inches of lift - maybe 3 inches, but not exactly sure. Rancho's site has an option for a 2.5" or 3" lift.....so how do you pick??
29/30 last 2 numbers works for 2.5"
-or- Many run 31/30 for about 1" more travel up front.

·
Registered
425 Posts
29/30 last 2 numbers works for 2.5" -or- Many run 31/30 for about 1" more travel up front.
So the shocks up front will be longer than the rear? I guess the front has more travel than the rear? I really don't know....I just play in the mud and avoid the rock (that I can see).

·
Super Moderator
21,968 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts