Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are getting ready to put the hardtop back on today, and after our clumsy attempts removing it a week ago, we now know the benefits of removing the rear glass window. Ran into a little snag, however. We have everything disconnected except for this line (looks like windshield washer fluid). I got it unscrewed as far as it will go... But now it's stuck. Can't seem to pull it apart or unscrew further. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Just curious, why did you remove the window? Seems like that would turn a 10-15 minute job into a , well, much longer job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it is the washer connection fluid connection It's a compression
nut over the rubber hose. It's stuck from expansion and contraction due to change in temperature. You need to use a little more force and the hose should pull right off.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patrick H said:
Just curious, why did you remove the window? Seems like that would turn a 10-15 minute job into a , well, much longer job.
The window doesn't stay shut once removed and made the job very cumbersome, and we also nearly broke the window a couple of times as we maneuvered it into our apartment for storage. Makes for a nice table. But I digress. Safer to remove the window than try to baby it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Got it off. Just had to put a bit of force behind it. I just didn't want to break anything so was hesitant to pull too hard. Thanks again. :) Now to get this hardtop back on... LJ top is a tad heavier lol.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The window doesn't stay shut once removed and made the job very cumbersome, and we also nearly broke the window a couple of times as we maneuvered it into our apartment for storage. Makes for a nice table. But I digress. Safer to remove the window than try to baby it.
OIC! :D I just leave my window open when I remove the top. I just hoist it up from the garage rafters. But i digress. I wasn't condemning, just asking..;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha. Wish we had a garage so we could set up a hoist!

Problem putting the liftglass back on now. How do you take this nut off the bolt? This piece is what secures the liftglass to the passenger/right side hinge. It came out of the hinge, which I don't think it's supposed to do. Can't get the nut to budge at all; the bolt just spins when I try to release the nut, even when I try to hold the nut steady with pliers or something. I know someone knows a trick to getting this piece apart!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
- When you take the top off the Jeep, it is easiest with the window up and the tailgate closed. That way you can take it straight back over the spare.

- A couple pieces of tape keep the glass shut when moving it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neil F. said:
- When you take the top off the Jeep, it is easiest with the window up and the tailgate closed. That way you can take it straight back over the spare.
That's what we figured out, haha. If we'd had any tape besides painter's tape (wouldn't stick enough to keep the window shut), we would've done that. Sure would have helped the first time around. Still, turning the top on its side and maneuvering into the apartment is just too tricky with the liftgate still on. It takes away vital handholds. It was 10x easier to maneuver once the glass was removed. Made for an easy task...

... Until it came time to put that right hinge back on. Still can't get that nut off the bolt. Looks like we'll have to remove the window just so my husband can drive to work tonight without risking shattering the glass. Unless anyone has something I can try?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Double nut (put two nuts on) the bottom of the stud, and tighten them together. Good'n'tight. Then hold one or both of those with one wrench, and loosen the nut with another wrench.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patrick H said:
Double nut (put two nuts on) the bottom of the stud, and tighten them together. Good'n'tight. Then hold one or both of those with one wrench, and loosen the nut with another wrench.
Ah-haaa. That makes an awful lot of sense. Looks like I need to run to Home Depot to find the right size nuts then. I knew there was a way! Thanks. XD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts