Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have had the rms replaced two times and it still leaks. The Mechanic who did the work said that the crank did have a groove in the rear, but he has seen worse and that it shouldn't be a problem. After the second time replacing the rms he took out the tranny and added UV solution to determine that it was in fact the rms. He said that it was the strangest thing he had seen. The rms would leak a few drops then stop and a few minutes later start again.

When I bought the jeep the previous owner said that the engine was rebuilt at 0.30 over but I'm not sure if they remachined the crank. If they did, this would affect the rms not sealing. My question is this:

Should I just replace the crankshaft with a new oem specs?

Should I replace the connecting rods when I replace the crankshaft?

Can I replace the the crankshaft without taking out the engine? I think I can just drop the pan and timing cover and get at the crankshaft? Is this correct?

The engine doesn't burn oil and the fact that it was just "rebuilt" (It only has like 15k miles on it after the rebuild) I don't really want to replace the entire engine and just want to replace the defective part. Thanks for the help. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ok so I have had the rms replaced two times and it still leaks. The Mechanic who did the work said that the crank did have a groove in the rear, but he has seen worse and that it shouldn't be a problem. After the second time replacing the rms he took out the tranny and added UV solution to determine that it was in fact the rms. He said that it was the strangest thing he had seen. The rms would leak a few drops then stop and a few minutes later start again.

When I bought the jeep the previous owner said that the engine was rebuilt at 0.30 over but I'm not sure if they remachined the crank. If they did, this would affect the rms not sealing. My question is this:

Should I just replace the crankshaft with a new oem specs?
its an option, and depending on the "groove" and how I feel, would determine whether thats a good idea.

Should I replace the connecting rods when I replace the crankshaft?
No, you wont need to, but you will need new bearings to match the crank.

Can I replace the the crankshaft without taking out the engine? I think I can just drop the pan and timing cover and get at the crankshaft? Is this correct?
Well, you can; you will need to drop the tranny first if you do it that way. Personally I find it just as easy, if not better, to pull the motor and put it on a stand. That way you can torque the caps down properly instead of trying to do it upside down.

The engine doesn't burn oil and the fact that it was just "rebuilt" (It only has like 15k miles on it after the rebuild) I don't really want to replace the entire engine and just want to replace the defective part. Thanks for the help. Any advice would be helpful.
How is the seal being replaced? Is it being pre-lubed with graphite assembly lube?

I would suspect the groove being the problem, and if you are lucky you could find a different seal that sits in a different spot, or you may even be able to get a machine shop to clean it up. (if its not too bad)

and yes, you can just replace the defective part(s).

·
Registered
551 Posts
You might want to look into using a speedi sleeve. They are thin walled sleeves that press over the sealing surface of the crank and give a smooth surface for the seal to ride on. I know that napa sells them, not sure who else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speedi sleeves that I found are only for the front and not the rear. The shop didn't use graphite or pre-lube the seal but they did use rtv. Thanks and great info camarozz. I have thought about having a custom rms made with a custom diameter but I kind of feel like I should fix the crankshaft. I'm the type of person that doesn't believe in jeeps marking their spot/territory.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Speedi sleeves that I found are only for the front and not the rear. The shop didn't use graphite or pre-lube the seal but they did use rtv. Thanks and great info camarozz. I have thought about having a custom rms made with a custom diameter but I kind of feel like I should fix the crankshaft. I'm the type of person that doesn't believe in jeeps marking their spot/territory.
We have a place locally that is a bearing and seal company, if you have one like that around your area they may be able to set you up with one.

I would think all you need is a slightly larger seal, but the problem is still probably with the groove. That will wear out the seal in quick order, of course I would think it should last more than a few days or so.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is there any possibility that the engine was line honed improperly during its rebuild causing the crank to ride not in the center of the seal? If you have the engine apart, you may want to get the block 100% checked out before putting too much money in it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Is there any possibility that the engine was line honed improperly during its rebuild causing the crank to ride not in the center of the seal? If you have the engine apart, you may want to get the block 100% checked out before putting too much money in it.
Interesting idea, I would bet that wasnt done. A lot of rebuilders seem to dismiss that, not that it is all that big of a deal, but sometimes can cause weird issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe it was honed and bored but I have no idea if they touched the bottom end at all. I am thinking that they left the crank and bearings alone because it only has 15k miles on it after the rebuild and their is already a groove in it.

I think I will try and get some custom seals made and if that doesn't work take out the crankshaft and get it balanced. It's frustrating that such a simple part can lead to a huge headache. I still love my YJ... square headlights and all... Thanks for all the help and if anyone knows of a company that makes custom seals please let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts