Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some honest opinions on this guys
While getting my oil changed and tires rotated on my 2010 JKUR I test drove and 2013 ( I know, terrible terrible idea) and absolutely loved it. The interior is quite a bit nicer but the engine and transimission combo is awesome compared to my 2010.
So now I'm thinking about possibly trading mine in for a comparably equipped 2013.
Right now I've got 3 yrs left and owe $21k on my 5 yr loan.
After talking with 4 different dealers and I'm about $500 short of a 4 yr loan keeping the same payment amount. All in all this new 2013 will cost me a little under $8000 above what I already owe.
SO this is where I need help, how stupid of an idea is this.
On one hand I'm thinking with the new engine and tranny combo, the old 3.8s (I would think but could be wrong) should lose their value faster, so trading now will definitely get me the best trade in value.
On the other hand, do I really want to add another year of payments.
We just had a little one(well 11 months ago) and plan on another in the not to distant future and figure we eventually (I say we meaning my wife) will want to trade her sedan for something bigger. I really hate to have 2 payments. But at the same time it's just a year and if worse comes to worse the 2013 would have (again I'm assuming) significantly better resale value.
So what do you all think?
Don't sugar coat it lol
I've beat my wife to death about it, asking her for an honest opinion and can only get "whatever will make you happy babe, I won't be upset":banghead:
Sorry for the long post BTW

·
Registered
892 Posts
Honestly the 2013 is light years better due to the powertrain and interior improvements but financially you would be better off to wait till your 2010 is paid off. If it were me, I would suck it up and drive the 2010 3 more years. You will have wasted less money in the long run.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Go for it!

1. Get a 2012, it is the new engine and transmission and it's the end of the year and they'll be wanting to clear them off the lots. No real difference between the 2013 other than colors, wheels, interior lights and seats, windshield nozzle or something.

3. If you don't do it now, you never will. If future plans are to include a new vehicle for the wife and new sibling for the child, come 3 years time this 2010 will be paid off and you will be told why the hell would you get a new vehicle when this one is paid off.

4. Your maths not clear, pretty sure with some hard ball number juggling you can make it palatable which brings the main point

5. New wheels and in particular new different engine/transmission jeep will put a spring in your step and make you productive in whatever it is you do; not having it and having driven it, you'll be moping around for the next 3 years wishing and waiting and when 3 years come, you'll be advised your crazy to change when the one you have is already paid off :cool:

YOLO :thumb:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
it's a dangerous game. next thing you know, you'll be trading the 2013 in on the new 2017.

·
Registered
892 Posts
it's a dangerous game. next thing you know, you'll be trading the 2013 in on the new 2017.
I agree. If everybody bought a vehicle everytime there was a change we would buy a new one every 2 years and lose our shirts on depreciation. Even though Jeeps hold their value, dumping one early will still cost you. I wont even consider upgrading till the JKs replacement which will be around 2017. Honestly I will probably drive my JK 8-10 years though.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
One of the things I love about Jeep is that old is still cool (few brands have this staying power). So, assuming my '10 is still running well when it's paid off, I'll be keeping it. Some day, it'll be a classic!

S

·
Registered
283 Posts
Honestly the 2013 is light years better due to the powertrain and interior improvements but financially you would be better off to wait till your 2010 is paid off. If it were me, I would suck it up and drive the 2010 3 more years. You will have wasted less money in the long run.
This....as nice as it may be, it does not make any financial sense to go with the 2013....take any extra coin and pay down that current loan early.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This....as nice as it may be, it does not make any financial sense to go with the 2013....take any extra coin and pay down that current loan early.
x2. If you are desperate for more power you can always regear. I'd wait until 2016 so you can get a new model when they come out if you still want a new Jeep by then. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you ever owned a vehicle "free and clear"? It's a wonderful feeling!!! How much interest are you paying on these loans? College is getting more expensive all the time... who knows what the feds are gonna do about taxes... Do you have a huge reserve, just in case?

Just sayin'

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have a jeep but have been wanting one since the 2012's came out. My problem....I own a Toyota Sequoia and it's paid off and I having a hard time justifying a new car loan payment.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
There is a world of difference between a 2010 and a 2013. A different engine, a different tranny, and TWO interior upgrades. But if it does not make financial sense...you gotta hold off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
s_wall98 said:
"whatever will make you happy babe, I won't be upset":
WOW. I had to justify picking up a bag of ice to put in the ice chest yesterday when I picked up some meat from the butcher! I've been payment free now for about 5 years now and it is a very nice feeling. Despite my wife giving me the green light to replacing the truck, I'm not quite ready to part with $25-30k.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After crunching some numbers, if I pay off this one I'm looking at around $37,000. I'm figuring if I wait until after paying this one off to get a new one in say 2017 I'm probably looking at another $37,000 sticker minus (and this is a wild guess) $20,000 leaving me $17000. That puts me at $54,000 for the new one.....and starting payments over.
Right now I'm $16000 in, and after trade and everything I'm looking at OTD price right at $30,000 putting me at $46,000...and only adding 1 yr of payments.
This is my thinking anyway ha....and thats assuming that I'm gonna want to trade mine in withing the next 5 yrs or so.
I'm not trying to dispute anyone just giving a little more info.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Dude just get the 13 you will be so happy and I'm not getting your finance problem are you upside down on the 10 (owe more than the trade in offer is) if not your getting money to trade it in so why would your payment go up? Finance it for the same amount of moths as the 10 and when you want to trade the 13 in you will be again fine and not upside down. Some people like having a car payment some dont I like having a payment because it builds your credit and you get a pretty new car every few years. I have had a new car every other year since I was 18 in only 22 now but I have ha three cars and have jncrease my payment each time because I can afford more but in your case how are you raising your payment if your getting similar options they didn't drastically raise the price between a 10 and 13 rubicon. Pull the trigger Texas ranger you can do it (water boy voice)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a 2010 JKUR white. Traded my 07 gmc for it and had 3 year loan at 200 month. This week the wait for my billet 2013 JKUR ended and I couldn't be happier. I bought the 10 off the lot it had auto trans dual top and navigation system. I ordered my 2013 the way I wanted it. 6 speed manual uconnect no navigation dual top. Took out a new 3 year loan and have guess what. 200 payment. Tires on my 10 had 40k miles and it needed new rubber and a few other odds and ends. Would have cost me 2k to keep it going another 3 years.

You are really talking about two completely different issues. Update/upgrade vs finance. Having driven my 13 for just a few days I can tell you I'm very very pleased I made the trade. And if you haven't seen the billet color yet you need to check it out. Pictures do not do it justice. See it in person. I've owned jeeps since the CJ era my first one was a 1973 CJ5. My 2013 JKUR has differently put the Jeepers smile back on my face. It's the best one I've owned so far.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Farnham,
You're confusing me now.
I financed my 10 for 5 yrs, have 3remaining
The 2013 would finance for 4 yrs with the same payment.
I would be adding 1 year.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts