Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im having to separate issues that i think are related. In ever gear at 3000rpm it feels as if im sputtering or bogging out and have kind of loss of power. it only happens at 3000RPM and goes away at like3500. Also when i open the gas cap a lot of air is released. Now i know that is somewhat normal but it pretty violent the amount of air coming out. i had about 3/4 of tank full and released the gas cap. it was so bad it actually spit out gas. I have a 98 SE 4cy. any ideas on what to look for would be great thanks all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Thought of this but wanted to see what some fellow jeep owners thought. Just ordered one on amazon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Next try changing the fuel filter.... It might have blockage and be building up back pressure. And besides the cap, it's the cheapest thing.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Next try changing the fuel filter.... It might have blockage and be building up back pressure. And besides the cap, it's the cheapest thing.

TJ fuel pumps/filters are by no means cheap!! and you have to drop the tank to even get to it. Rarely do TJs need the factory "lifetime" filter replaced.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
What are your thoughts on buying a used one off ebay?
If you actually need one (which I don't think you do) I would buy it new from rock auto. Run a fuel pressure test first and see what the pressure is. It should be close to 49 psi. there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail where you can hook into. I borrowed a gauge from O'reileys auto parts to test mine when I was thinking I had a faulty pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you actually need one (which I don't think you do) I would buy it new from rock auto. Run a fuel pressure test first and see what the pressure is. It should be close to 49 psi. there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail where you can hook into. I borrowed a gauge from O'reileys auto parts to test mine when I was thinking I had a faulty pump.

had the test done and it was fine. dont know the issue could be. any more idea?

·
Registered
50 Posts
did you get this problem solved? my son's 97 TJ is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@stray1 after driving for a while my check engine finally came on for a crank sensor code had the crank sensor replaced and fixed the 3k issue. the jeep is actually running a lot better now. as per the gas issue im having the replaced this week when we dropped the tank to check out the pump it was actually missing the little strainer at the bottom. so once i get the new one in and installed the week i will post if that fixed that issue. let me know what you find out with your sons. i spoke to someone else who had the same 3k issue and crank sensor was the problem as well they had a 97 also. so that might be best try i think the part is cheap

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Sounds like your evap canister or line is plugged. The tank shouldn't be able to build up and pressure at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
not sure if this will help either of you, but i have a functioning fuel pump that the PO installed incorrectly that I can sell you for very cheap. i had already bought a new pump before dropping my tank and discovering my pump wasn't the problem. the PO messed up the seal when he installed the pump and i think the metal where the fuel line connected was loose... you probably can fix it with a little DIY and $15

let me know if you're interested in giving it a shot, if you can't fix it i'll take it back. it'd be a heck of a lot cheaper

·
Registered
50 Posts
The crank sensor fixed my problem.... thank you for the info

btw, I never had the engine light come on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts