Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, y'all. I'm new here and need some help/advice.

My 2008 Wrangler will not shift out of 4wd. It feels like the shift lever is not connected to the transfer case or anything else, for that matter. Can I check for that connection from inside the cab? Is it fixable by a marginal mechanic (me) or should I find a repair shop? Any other possibilities?

Bigdaddy212

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey there, y'all. I'm new here and need some help/advice.

My 2008 Wrangler will not shift out of 4wd. It feels like the shift lever is not connected to the transfer case or anything else, for that matter. Can I check for that connection from inside the cab? Is it fixable by a marginal mechanic (me) or should I find a repair shop? Any other possibilities?

Bigdaddy212
thier is a little white clip that hold the linkage to the transfercase, it probally broke. this is very common on the jk.

·
Registered
361 Posts
greenenvy said:
thier is a little white clip that hold the linkage to the transfercase, it probally broke. this is very common on the jk.
Like its a little plastic clip?

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
The clip is probably broken.

However, are you also sure you're really in 4wd? Could it be that you're in 2wd but the lever is just in the 4wd position?

I ask because if you're really in 4wd, that's a big damn problem and you need to get it fixed pronto. Don't go over 50 mph and don't make any hard turns. You'll feel the Jeep "skipping" as you go through turns on pavement.

It ain't good. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts