Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying this jeep wrangler from a dealer. The dealer is over 4 hours away and can come down on the price a little. I am only worried because of the mileage and the aftermarket front bumper and rock sliders on it? I do not want to pay for something that was used and abused. It is a 1998 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0l manual transmission. It is the sahara edition with tan interior and a tan soft top it has almost 130k miles on it. They said that they can come down to $6000. Is that reasonable or not low enough? I have never owned a jeep and do not know what to expect out of them as in how long they will last and run and etc.

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
The price is reasonable for the vehicle if it is in good shape. Appearance wise it looks good but you don't know until you see it in person. I always suggest when looking at used Wranglers to try and buy as close to stock condition as possible. You never know what has been done to a modified Jeep (when buying from a dealer) and you cannot be sure that it was done properly.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Few things I am seeing. Driver side fender is bent, and Jeep looks to have a body lift, which is not a major issues, just depends how tall the body lift is,tires look shot. I would ask what rear end it has.. I will guess its a dana 35 (round plastic fill plug) If you can take your time and look for a dana 44 rear(square metal plug)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you tell the difference between a body lift and suspensions lift on jeeps? For a jeep with that kind of mileage what is a good price range just in case i decide to buy a different one instead?

·
Registered
188 Posts
4jeepn touched on everything. You have to have it checked out by a mechanic. Some jeeps are well taken care of others beat. I would try to negotiate some new tires or better yet a lower price because you will need new tires ($500-$1000) so if everything checks out try for 6000-6250???

·
Registered
187 Posts
If this deal is being worked up at Landers-McLarty in Bentonville, is Dennis Shepherd, the sales person? I will try and give him a call. Bought mine from there in October.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Id be a buyer if the fluids looked good and it drove smooth over 60mph. A jeep like that where I live is usually around $8500.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have it checked out-look for the d44- it sounds like a good price. It would probably fetch 7000-7500 in my area.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Take your time and dont be in a rush. I know its hard but with the economy the way that it is, there is deals to be had. Check you local craigs list and just keep watching it. There is a deal and a Wrangler waiting just for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
And don't jump on the first one you find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, I am thinking I am passing on this one. It had 35 in tires and a body lift. Still on the search for a jeep. I think i am going to widin my searh to 95-99 years. 95 because i have heard that the frame is almost impossible to rust.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Yea, I am thinking I am passing on this one. It had 35 in tires and a body lift. Still on the search for a jeep. I think i am going to widin my searh to 95-99 years. 95 because i have heard that the frame is almost impossible to rust.
The TJ started in 97. 95 was the last year of the YJ and there was no production in 96.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
just a hunch, but i believe this jeep has been used hard. nothing wrong with that but you dont want to inherit other peoples problems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have that same jeep and love it ive saw them go to 400 k before seems like a good price to me

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always buy from an individual

Jeep sell so easily that when I see on eon a lot either the seller was in a hurry or didn't want to fool with people coming to his house. I would wait and find the one you want. Autotrader.com is a good source for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Try to get them to give you a 60 or 90 warranty-especially if they claim to have checked it out-

Then take it to a Jeep Dealer after the purchase in addition to having it checked out prior by another dealer as inconvenient as it may be and have any necessary work done

Remember always an element of a deep dark hole with any used vehicle purchase

Good Luck

whlr13

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok that is a good idea. I have found a stock 98 with 102k miles for $5500. The only bad part is tht they are 7 hours away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts