Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the other day and my jeep starting bucking and jumping. Everytime it did this I dropped speed my RPM would drop and my check engine light would turn on then go off. I sprayed the carb with throttle body cleaner and it stopped jumping and jerking. Now my rpm's
Will go up to 2000 and then down to about 500 while in neutral. Sometimes gradually dropping sometimes just drop sometimes it will go dead. While all this happens my gas gage will show its amount then empty then back up and my check engine light flashes on and off all while I'm
Parked or rolling in neutral can some one help me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Give us the engine diagnostic codes of the failures, and we may be able to help. If you don't have and cannot borrow a code reader, you might be able to do the ignition key trick and read the codes in the odometer display.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Call me uneducated lol but what is the key in the ignition trick
Put the key in the ignition, and turn to the first click (RUN), then OFF, then RUN, then OFF, then RUN, and stop. This must happen within 10 seconds. Read the failure codes in the odometer display, and write them down. If you turn past RUN by mistake to the second click (START), then turn it off and start over.

This trick works on OBD2 ignitions, but not the original OBD ignitions. I don't know what year it changed.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I had that problem about a month ago turns out it was a wet clockspring

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Billycoop127 said:
I was driving the other day and my jeep starting bucking and jumping. Everytime it did this I dropped speed my RPM would drop and my check engine light would turn on then go off. I sprayed the carb with throttle body cleaner and it stopped jumping and jerking. Now my rpm's
Will go up to 2000 and then down to about 500 while in neutral. Sometimes gradually dropping sometimes just drop sometimes it will go dead. While all this happens my gas gage will show its amount then empty then back up and my check engine light flashes on and off all while I'm
Parked or rolling in neutral can some one help me.
Sounds like a ground problem. Somewhere a ground isn't secure and its trying to find ground through the fuel gauge and the ECM. Usually other gauges are affected too.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
This trick works on OBD2 ignitions, but not the original OBD ignitions. I don't know what year it changed.
All TJ's are OBDII. OBDII became standard (mandatory) by 1996. Has nothing to do with which year TJ's had the ability to read codes on the IC

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
On but dont start it

On, off, on, off, on, off, on and you should get a code if theres a problem

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried the ignition switch and it didn't work I did get a code reader but it showed no codes so now I have a " sick jeep" and can't fix it. But. Tom I will try the sea foam engine stuff I put it in my tank first now I put it in the breather in take. I think it a vacuum problem. And other suggestions

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Why not let the Jeep tell you whats wrong instead of guessing? Like mentioned,pull codes.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Phil.Dye said:
I still think this sounds like a fuel delivery problem, I would check my filter.
Our Jeeps have a "non-serviceable" fuel filter.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sounds like a ground problem. Somewhere a ground isn't secure and its trying to find ground through the fuel gauge and the ECM. Usually other gauges are affected too.
Thats what I was thinking, he's loosing voltage to the ignition, but the bucking part is unusual?? The bucking part could be clogged fuel injectors or dirty throttle body. I just started a thread about Carb Cleaners versus Fuel Injector cleaner. Did not realize there was a difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1jeeplvr said:
Why not let the Jeep tell you whats wrong instead of guessing? Like mentioned,pull codes.
Well I tried the ignition switch and it didn't work I did get a code reader but it showed no codes so now I have a " sick jeep" and can't fix it. But. Tom I will try the sea foam engine stuff I put it in my tank first now I put it in the breather in take. I think it a vacuum problem. And other suggestions

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. New update. Did throttle body cleaner. Tried the code reader again. And got no codes to I cleaned out all the vaccine lines. It blew out a lot of whit smoke but still does the samething. I guess I'll start looking for a ground but I have no idea were to even start to look. But now instead of the rpm's dropping to about 500 now it will just go dead sometimes. Could
It be something with the auto choke? I feel
Like its stalling out cause it only shut off if the clutch is in

·
Registered
535 Posts
All TJ's are OBDII. OBDII became standard (mandatory) by 1996. Has nothing to do with which year TJ's had the ability to read codes on the IC
Although all TJ's are OBDII, obtaining P codes on the IC with the on/off on/off.......etc, will only work on TJ model years 1997, and 2001 thru 2006. No idea why the skipped the years in between.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts