Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Jeeper Hive....
I picked up a Hard Top the other day, and want to take care of a few things before I put it back on for the winter. I know its not stock. It fits great, snugs to the tub really well (though Ill probably use foam weather stripping to seal it)

The problem i have is with the lift gate. I bought two struts and they do not fit, I couldn't even close the window. The geometry is all wrong. The bottom of the strut is at the bottom of the lid, and the top of the strut mounts about 1/3rd of the way up the side. When closed, the strut would need to be about 4 inches long....no bueno.

Im trying to id the top to figure out what struts to get, but have a feeling I have a TJ top and a YJ rear glass (it does not have the mounting hole for the strut 1/4 from the top of the glass)

Anyway, attached are some pics, any thoughts? I don't want to use a broom stick...

Thedave
SLOPPY JANE 1995YJ
58k miles

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,390 Posts
David, take a pic of the rear hatch. It's usually the way to identify an other than stock top. Judging from the metal tag, you may have an aftermarket top. A TJ top won't fit a YJ without modifying where the top fits the windshield frame.

When you take a pic of the hatch area, Hold your phone horizontally with the clicker button on the right. Then (hopefully) your pics will post in the correct orientation.

Crazysjeep suggests taking the top to your local auto parts store. If that won't work, perhaps you can simply take one of the old non-working struts.
You can clamp a Vice Grip pliers on the shaft of the old strut until you are able to buy two new ones so that you won't have to use a broom.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Not trying to jump the gun, but it looks like a Steel-Horse hardtop. They went out of business a long time ago, gonna be almost impossible to find replacement parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts