Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new-to-me 2009 JK Unlimited Sahara doesn't have a head unit, so I'll be installing one. For now my plan is to install a head unit and backup camera, probably the Sony XAV-AX5500. Then see how things sound before thinking about speakers.

I do a lot of pro audio wiring but haven't installed a head unit before. I'd like to get a handle on the existing stock wiring and components. My Sahara has the Infinity six speakers plus subwoofer. I know there is a separate amp as well. But I'm not sure how the audio gets distributed.

Can anyone fill me in on the amp, as to what it is and how many channels it has?

I imagine it's wired something like:
Radio left and right out go to amp ins
Amp has speaker outs for Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear, and Sub

I have a diagram with pinouts for the 22 pin gray radio connector, which show pins for both both radio and speakers. This is a bit confusing...are these all outputs? Is it just the radio outs that are being used to send to the amp?

Aside from the gray connector, there are 3 colored connectors - yellow, white and blue. Below is a pic.
I'm thinking there's a radio antenna here, but not really sure what these are. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
17,528 Posts
22 pin gray has one power one ground and with can bus amp it only uses 4 of the 8 speaker wires
Also 2 can bus wires and one for the power for the antenna amplifier

Gray 10 pin has the microphone wires for the hands free unit if nav radio
Otherwise all the audio wires for a separate hands free connect module

The white 22 pin has audio and video in and out for camera up to 2 six audio video inputs and 2 separate rear screens including a shield wire for each video pair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,528 Posts
Since your Jeep had the GPS antenna it originally had a my gig RER navigation radio and all the JK wranglers are high speed can bus

Any can bus high speed radio would be plug and play including
RES, REQ, REN, RER, RBZ or RHR

Would have to be from another with the high speed can bus
Includes Nitro, Journey, Liberty, Wrangler mini van both grand caravan and town and country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much Digger! Great to know what was in there before, I was wondering about that.
I got the pinout diagrams for both the radio and amp from the Mopar site, that's an excellent resource.

I definitely want a HU with Apple Car Play - I tried searching My Gig radios but didn't see anything about having Car Play. Do you know of any?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts