Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished doing an axle swap on the 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKUR. My old housing was bent but it was equipped with 4.10 gears, lockers and all that good jazz. I bought a used 2018 JKUR Recon housing with 4.10 gears and lockers and upgraded my axle shafts. Finally got everything dialed in and took it on a test drive. I noticed my alignment was bad. The toe is off and my steering wheel isn't centered. The steering wheel was sitting at about 1/4 of a turn when the tires were straight. When driving around 25-30mph the traction control light started flashing and it seemed as if the Jeep itself wants to stop.
My question is, would this be because the alignment isn't correct?
And would it be safe to drive to an alignment shop or would it be better to tow it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
It sounds like the Jeep is going in to Limp Mode. Are you sure that it has 4.10 gears? I ask because I have a 2018 JKUR Recon and thought it had 4.10's. Even though the specs say it has them, the automatic transmission comes with 3.73 unless you add back the 4.10 option.

-m

·
Super Moderator
22,462 Posts
you need to center your steering wheel. your vehicle thinks it is loosing control because of the steering wheel being cocked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like the Jeep is going in to Limp Mode. Are you sure that it has 4.10 gears? I ask because I have a 2018 JKUR Recon and thought it had 4.10's. Even though the specs say it has them, the automatic transmission comes with 3.73 unless you add back the 4.10 option.

-m
Would any codes be thrown if the gear ratio's didn't match? Like check engine or anything?

·
Super Moderator
22,462 Posts
Would any codes be thrown if the gear ratio's didn't match? Like check engine or anything?
if the gear ratio was wrong it would go into limp mode within 100 feet. It is your steering wheel. recenter it, it takes 5 minutes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not aware of it throwing any error codes but it might. Best bet would be to do a quick scan. Do you know if the donor JKURR was manual or auto? You could always jack up the front and measure the ratio of tire rotations to driveshaft rotations to determine which gears you have in there.

The Jeep does apparently track steering angle but I really don't know any of the details about how it does it. I don't think that it can sense the misalignment between the steering wheel and the tires though. To recenter the steering wheel, just loosen the clamps on the drag link and turn the adjusting collar until it is centered. Given the Jeep steering mechanics, it doesn't really affect the rest of the alignment. If toe is way off, you can get it in rough alignment with a tape measure and some manual adjustment of the tie rod.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The gear ratio should not cause any issues if youre coming off of 4.10 already. The traction control light is due to your steering wheel being off center. As for your alignment, just go to a shop and get one done.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Jeep does sense the angle of the steering wheel and the tire direction. This is what's causing the traction light to come on, and force it into limp mode. The computer sees the mismatch between the steering wheel and vehicle direction, and thinks it's in a loss of traction situation, and is trying to correct it.

Gear mismatch between front at rear mean nothing as long as you're not in 4WD.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Gear mismatch between front at rear mean nothing as long as you're not in 4WD.
That's not quite true.
If there is a gear mismatch you won't even get 5 feet before all the alarm bells go.... even in 2WD. You have to remember that everything is spinning right up to and including the Tcase regardless of what drive mode you're in. If your 2 Tcase output shafts are spinning at different speeds your tcase will STRENUOUSLY object!

The only way you can run with mismatched gears is with one of the drive shafts removed.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
So I just finished doing an axle swap on the 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKUR. My old housing was bent but it was equipped with 4.10 gears, lockers and all that good jazz. I bought a used 2018 JKUR Recon housing with 4.10 gears and lockers and upgraded my axle shafts. Finally got everything dialed in and took it on a test drive. I noticed my alignment was bad. The toe is off and my steering wheel isn't centered. The steering wheel was sitting at about 1/4 of a turn when the tires were straight. When driving around 25-30mph the traction control light started flashing and it seemed as if the Jeep itself wants to stop.
My question is, would this be because the alignment isn't correct?
And would it be safe to drive to an alignment shop or would it be better to tow it?
If the wheel is off and you didn't do lift adjustments then your axle is probably off center. Make sure the axle is centered first, then center the steering wheel.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's not quite true.
If there is a gear mismatch you won't even get 5 feet before all the alarm bells go.... even in 2WD. You have to remember that everything is spinning right up to and including the Tcase regardless of what drive mode you're in. If your 2 Tcase output shafts are spinning at different speeds your tcase will STRENUOUSLY object!

The only way you can run with mismatched gears is with one of the drive shafts removed.
this is not accurate. I drove my Jeep for a year with different gear ratios front and rear. With the drive shafts in. As log as you’re not in 4 wheel drive, there’s no problem. speed sensors are at the wheels in the JK, not at the TC or drive shafts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update, thanks to everyone who commented to possibly find a fix!
The problem was just the off-centered steering wheel. I did a quick at home alignment and centered the steering wheel, took no longer than 10 minutes. Took it on a quick test drive and everything seems fine! Drives even better than before...😇

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
you need to center your steering wheel. your vehicle thinks it is loosing control because of the steering wheel being cocked.
This ^^^^ 100% the issue

Oops, I'm late.
I see you already got it figured out.
Have fun, and be safe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts