Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Threads are still in the steering column. Where do I get a new one. Checked auto parts stores, and used on eBay. Nothing. Can't drive it like this...

·
Registered
787 Posts
you can get a new one most anywhere......ebay, quadratec, advance auto, any parts house.....there are no threads...yours most likely broke off even with the column.....it's a common problem...you'll probably have to semi-disassemble the column to get the old piece out and the new one just pushes in...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
...Can't drive it like this...
Nonsense.
Unzip your driverside window and extend your arm as appropiate like you were taught in Drivers-Ed.

(also make a 'click-click' sound, so you will remember to retract your arm after negotiating the turn) :thumb:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Repeat. Can not find on eBay or advanced auto. Keyword jeep wrangler turn signal lever.

·
Registered
787 Posts
dude, it's a GM steering column.....any lever from a 60's model on up will work....expecially the 70's and 80's.......quadratec has em....morris 4x4 has em.....autopartswarehouse.com has em.....ebay has em....and i bought 1 from NAPA and 1 from Advance Auto....easy to find...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same one used on an s10. Every autoparts store here stocks them. Local dodge store can get one overnight for $15.

I bought my yj with on broke off inside, before I took the column apart, I took a tiny drill bit and drilled a pilot hole in the piece left. Then took a long dryall screw and carefully turned in in several threads. Used pliers and gave a good tug. Out it came. New one popped right in.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool I will give that a try. I found one at Advance Auto. parts guy couldn't find it, even by looking up an S10.
I googled 'Dorman turn signal lever' and found the part number while in the store.
Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is a drywall screw softer than a regular sheet metal screw ?
I drilled the pilot hole, tried a couple of different screws, but can't get them to bite into the metal

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I did not drill my pilot large enough..z

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
a drywall screw is like a wood screw with a pointed tip, not a flat threaded tip.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got out a bigger bit, drilled it deeper, felt it bite. Stopped and tugged. It pulled right out. No drywall screw needed.
Do glad to have a functioning turn signal again !

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just had this happen myself. The stalk snapped right at the groove. Fortunately I was able to jam it back in the hole enough to use the turn signal.

My question is, does the part which is left in the column just pull out?

Even if I have intermittent wiper does the new one still just press in?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was able to hold mine in enough to limp around town, while still beingable to use the turn signals. The wipers worked during this time, but not very well. they were intermitant to some degree.
I do not have cruise control, so i guess that saved some hassle ont he install, but yes, once you get that other piece out, and it is about 1/2" or more long, the new one pops right in. And now the wipers work fine again.
I got my stalk fromt he HELP isle at the Advanced Auto.
Made in China, but looks OK.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts