Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished wiring up a Kicker CXA 300.1 mono amp and 8" Kicker Comp VR in my JK. I wanted more bass and the factory amp wasn't doing much with the factory sub. My 2012 JK came the "premium" factory Infinity stereo. I replaced the stock head unit with a Kenwood DDX-374BT a few years ago and used the PAC RP4-CH11 harness. It was working fine except for the soundbar speakers being attenuated but, I heard that this was normal in this configuration.

Anyway, the new sub will vibrate with the beat of the music but you can only notice it by touching the cone. I unplugged the RCA cables coming from the head unit at the amp and plugged in my tablet with a RCA to 3.5mm jack adapter and played some music. I could hear the woofer working fine then but it just doesn't have the same thump coming from the the head unit.

Anybody have a clue as to what might be going on? Is is the PAC module causing this?

·
Premium Member
9,562 Posts
Have you set your settings correctly for adding an amp and sub?

·
Registered
916 Posts
The output from your tablet is a line level or high output audio source, meaning that electrical signal coming through the wires is already amplified to run speakers. The RCA jacks on the rear of your head unit are a pre-amp source meaning that they they carry low level electrical signals which would be insufficient to power a speaker, but preferred when connecting to an external amp. Your Kicker amp can accept either type of signal, but there should be an input level switch on the amp that needs to be set to high or low to match your source. Since it works with your tablet, my guess is your switch is set to high level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have uyou checked your sub output from the Kenwood Head unit? My bet is the level is turned down or your sub gains need to be turned up. Also check you crossover settings in the head unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The output from your tablet is a line level or high output audio source, meaning that electrical signal coming through the wires is already amplified to run speakers. The RCA jacks on the rear of your head unit are a pre-amp source meaning that they they carry low level electrical signals which would be insufficient to power a speaker, but preferred when connecting to an external amp. Your Kicker amp can accept either type of signal, but there should be an input level switch on the amp that needs to be set to high or low to match your source. Since it works with your tablet, my guess is your switch is set to high level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I'm aware of what low level and high level inputs are lol. This isn't the first amp I've installed. I've just never run into an issue like this before with an amp and sub. I installed a Kenwood 4 channel amp with the rear channel bridged for a sub and the front channel pushing components in the front doors of a 90s extended cab GM truck I use to drive. Back to the JK though, the input level switch was one of the first things I checked. I noticed it made a difference when the tablet was connected but not with the Kenwood in the Jeep.The factory amp in these JKs makes installing aftermarket audio goodies more hassle than it needs to be.

Have uyou checked your sub output from the Kenwood Head unit? My bet is the level is turned down or your sub gains need to be turned up. Also check you crossover settings in the head unit.

I messed with the settings in the menus of the Kenwood but there wasn't any change. That factory Infinity system is a real pain in the ass. I'm just going to bypass the whole factory system all together and run a separate 4 channel amp to new front components and soundbar speakers along with that Kicker amp and sub. I just need to find the time because currently my JK is my daily driver and I need it to drive to work and back. To install this new system I'm going to need have the JK parked for a couple of days so I can remove the carpet, seats and any necessary interior trim. I also need to see if its possible to retain my steering wheel controls after removing the factory Infinity amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts