Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.. I am a fresh new jeep owner ( JW 2000 sport, 2door)and I am taking my baby steps on learning how to fix simple things on my own.. well Im off to a rough start.. After a flat tire I broke 2 wheel studs trying to get the lock nuts off.. so after lots of research I decided that this would be a great start to get my hands dirty.. I need your help.. I finally got the rotor off, it was pretty rusty, then its the studs, obviously the broken studs were not an issue but I decided to replace all the studs but I can't get them out.. there is no cut out anywhere and no obvious place where it would be easiest to get them out.. I also tried by seeing if putting in the new one would show me the way but I can't even get the new ones in.. Yes I know Im green and I have lot to learn, but any help from you would be greatly appreciated since now my jeep is off the ground, no tire on it and the 2 broken studs have been removed.. So I need to complete this myself.. thank you so much in advance
Ari

·
Registered
910 Posts
on a jk, you can pull the brake calibers for access. the studs are pressed in, so just use an old lugnut installed on the stud and a big hammer..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took caliber off, its easy to get the studs loose, its just getting them out from behind I can't find a spot

·
Registered
910 Posts
different than the jk shields then..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Is there one spot you can rotate the axle to where they will fit in? I'm wondering if you cut the old ones in half if you can re-install the new ones or not.

Otherwise you'll have to undo those three bolts that are pointing back outwards, and seperate the axle from the bearing. Not real hard to do at all but usually takes a lot of penetrating fluid and a small sledge to get them apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have rotated the axle all around and tried to put new stud in where the broken one was, so far no luck on finding that sweet spot... hoping I don't have to separate the axle from the bearing since I don't have experience with these things, just replacing the studs seemed easy enough with limited tools needed..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts