Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I live in northern BC (just moved out here) and am looking into buying some winter tires because the roads are really crummy with snow fall... I currently have Radial XTX Wild Country Tires (30 x 9.5 R15 LT) on, but am thinking that all terrain tires won't cut it for the winter season. I am totally lost when it comes to picking a suitable winter tire... any suggestions for something that will move easily through snow, stop on icey roads and that is reasonably priced? A local tire shop was trying to sell me Goodyears but they are 235 75 R15 (not LT's) and I believe that is smaller than my current tire... Im thinking its not worth it to buy cheap, smaller winter tires.... Another place suggested mud tires but they were way more expensive and don't seem to be the right fit for me as I will be driving alot on paved roads... PLEASE HELP!

THANKS!!

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
We get no snow love here in dead center California, but I've read nothing bad on the wrangler duratracs in snow, actually everything I've read on them in snow is good, they're pinned for studs too, I run them in 31x10.5 and haven't yet taken them off-road, had them just over a week, but like I said I've read nothing but good about them.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Ran 3 sets of BFG ATs..they were "good" tires same vehicle '04 TJ sport. Installed the Duratracs and as good as the BFG's were...MAN WHAT I WAS MISSING!!!!! Lovin' the Duratracs!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
matt88-8 said:
Hankook I pikes.
X2

I had these on my first TJ, and I live in Tahoe. I had these the year it snowed 800" and they worked great. I put studs in, and could drive through a few feet of unplowed with no concerns and had decent grip on packed snow and ice. Not sure how road cleanup is in BC, but here they suck at plowing, don't use salt b/c of the lake, so the roads are hard pack for 3 days after a storm. These ran so well we bought a pair for our Lexus, and will buy more for my new TJ.

·
Registered
160 Posts
well my 33" BFG MT's finally got a little to long in the tooth for comfort and with winter on it's way up here I didn't want to chance it on the Rubi this year... I have to say that the old Mt's sure taught you how to drive... after reading a great deal of information on the internet I decided that we all have some favorite's... I am a MT fan even for winters up here in Canuckistan... but with having to commute more then double the hwy time now I wanted something a little more stable and I am doing more blacktop and gravel then muck so it was a real toss up between the GY DuraTrac's and the Cooper St Maxx...and the winner is - Cooper ST Maxx! I really think I made the right decision - I love the ride and feel of the tires and they look great. I can't get over how quiet they are - again coming from a MT. I just finished registering the tires online and checking the lug nuts torque.

** UPDATE ** well I am finally running in snow and ice - they track extremely well, are sure footed and deliver in the snow, pretty decent on ice - although not a dedicated ice snow tire - so over all I am really digging this tire I am extremely pleased with them, well done Cooper Tires!

great read
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX | RoadTraveler.net

·
Registered
160 Posts
well my 33" BFG MT's finally got a little to long in the tooth for comfort and with winter on it's way up here I didn't want to chance it on the Rubi this year... I have to say that the old Mt's sure taught you how to drive... after reading a great deal of information on the internet I decided that we all have some favorite's... I am a MT fan even for winters up here in Canuckistan... but with having to commute more then double the hwy time now I wanted something a little more stable and I am doing more blacktop and gravel then muck so it was a real toss up between the GY DuraTrac's and the Cooper St Maxx...and the winner is - Cooper ST Maxx! I really think I made the right decision - I love the ride and feel of the tires and they look great. I can't get over how quiet they are - again coming from a MT. I just finished registering the tires online and checking the lug nuts torque.

** UPDATE ** well I am finally running in snow and ice - they track extremely well, are sure footed and deliver in the snow, pretty decent on ice - although not a dedicated ice snow tire - so over all I am really digging this tire I am extremely pleased with them, well done Cooper Tires!

great read
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX | RoadTraveler.net
*Image: Copyright 2012 RoadTraveler.net/J. Langan*

*Image: Copyright 2012 RoadTraveler.net/J. Langan*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts