Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ever posting. As background, after 30+ car-less years as Manhattanites, bride of 40+ years and I relocated to mid-Atlantic coast last month (hooray - back in the real world at last!). First order of business was ordering a Wrangler (our dream for several years). Sahara Altitude with just about everything (aiming to enjoy to the fullest the years we have left). Just got a call that our order is D1 (VIN provided). NEED HELP QUESTION: Although I researched a lot before placing our order, I failed to learn that getting the LED Package would have been wise (better illumination for night driving… always helpful for those with a few gray hairs). What can I do? I’m thinking of ordering Mopar headlights for the dealer to install when our Sahara arrives. There may be cheaper ways, but ease and simplicity are my priorities right now. I want headlights that are exactly what we’d have gotten had I ordered the LED Package (would that include the “halo” ring also?). THANK YOU in advance for any instruction or guidance you can give these soon-to-be Wrangler newbies!

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is my first ever posting. As background, after 30+ car-less years as Manhattanites, bride of 40+ years and I relocated to mid-Atlantic coast last month (hooray - back in the real world at last!). First order of business was ordering a Wrangler (our dream for several years). Sahara Altitude with just about everything (aiming to enjoy to the fullest the years we have left). Just got a call that our order is D1 (VIN provided). NEED HELP QUESTION: Although I researched a lot before placing our order, I failed to learn that getting the LED Package would have been wise (better illumination for night driving… always helpful for those with a few gray hairs). What can I do? I’m thinking of ordering Mopar headlights for the dealer to install when our Sahara arrives. There may be cheaper ways, but ease and simplicity are my priorities right now. I want headlights that are exactly what we’d have gotten had I ordered the LED Package (would that include the “halo” ring also?). THANK YOU in advance for any instruction or guidance you can give these soon-to-be Wrangler newbies!
You sure can get them to install the leds. They will definitely be more expensive than aftermarket. Make sure you leave the voting habits that turn NY in a cheet hole back in NY.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Agreed. All the wires are there to connect to. Just need a programmer to tell the Jeep what it is using. Can install the lights and do this yourself, or have the dealer do it all.

·
Retired Moderator
104,208 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: NYC Allan

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

Reactions: NYC Allan

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new Jeep and welcome to the USA.

Long shot but call your dealer and see if he can call Jeep.

You can add later but the LED package includes LEDs all around and is just a terrific package. For sure you can get LED head and fog lights later. Just pricey as mentioned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You can add later but the LED package includes LEDs all around and is just a terrific package. For sure you can get LED head and fog lights later. Just pricey as mentioned.
You sure can get them to install the leds. They will definitely be more expensive than aftermarket. Make sure you leave the voting habits that turn NY in a cheet hole back in NY.
Thank you oldhead! Exciting to get my first reply to my first posting! (P.s. Happily, I brought my voting habits to NY in the 1980s and they're comfortably "back home" again now.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. All the wires are there to connect to. Just need a programmer to tell the Jeep what it is using. Can install the lights and do this yourself, or have the dealer do it all.
Thank you NJJeep Guy. I might actually try doing this myself. Would probably save $200 labor. Just not sure I could get them aligned properly, so for me would probably be worth having a "pro" do it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you SteedGun. My sales person thought it was too late but tomorrow I'll ask 'em to speak with their sales manager to see if maybe we could make the change - I agree LEDs all around would be "cleaner". But if they can't get the factory to make the change, I'll at least swap the headlights when it's delivered.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome.. I made the same mistake on my 2021 Sahara and realized after I took delivery.. I bought new take offs on the DRL for $200 on ebay and installed them myself.. I just ordered yesterday a set of new take off LED fog lights on ebay for $140 and will install them soon. As for the LED headlights look at DV8 brand at about $680, they look exactly the same as factory. I believe they make the OEM headlights for the Wranglers.. I looked for OEM LED headlights online, $800+ and many sites said out of stock or backordered.

So far I'm ahead of the game $$ wise.

Aldo is the expert on this LED swap and was a big help to me.

Also look for a thread I'd started couple months ago titled different LED's

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Broomie JK Wrangler - Thank you for your reply. Could you say what "take offs" are / mean? Did the DRL include the amber bit at the outside edge, or just the white rectangular DRLs themselves (I don't have my Sahara yet, so can't inspect). But I like what you're saying overall. If I could get headlights for $700 and DRLs for $200 and fogs for $140 (say, $1,100 overall), that's about what the LED Package was ($1,350-ish I believe)... and anyway, oddly, LED tail lights will be coming on my Sahara because of one of the safety packages (I forget which triggers it... we got both the regular safety and the "advanced" safety packages and one of the two happens to include LED tail's). Am encouraged to know I could after-market all front-end lights with labor for no more than the LED Package would have cost... that's not too painful a recovery for my error in not ordering the LED Package (first though, I'll still try pressing the dealer to see if they can get Jeep to make the change). THANK YOU!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi Broomie JK Wrangler - Thank you for your reply. Could you say what "take offs" are / mean? Did the DRL include the amber bit at the outside edge, or just the white rectangular DRLs themselves (I don't have my Sahara yet, so can't inspect). But I like what you're saying overall. If I could get headlights for $700 and DRLs for $200 and fogs for $140 (say, $1,100 overall), that's about what the LED Package was ($1,350-ish I believe)... and anyway, oddly, LED tail lights will be coming on my Sahara because of one of the safety packages (I forget which triggers it... we got both the regular safety and the "advanced" safety packages and one of the two happens to include LED tail's). Am encouraged to know I could after-market all front-end lights with labor for no more than the LED Package would have cost... that's not too painful a recovery for my error in not ordering the LED Package (first though, I'll still try pressing the dealer to see if they can get Jeep to make the change). THANK YOU!
So glad I was of help. Takeoffs mean they were taken off a new Sahara or Rubicon when the owner swapped the factory fenders out for stubby fenders and the factory DRL won't fit the new fenders.. Same for the LED fog lights, the factory ones don't fit most aftermarket market bumpers.

I too also ordered the two advanced safety packages so I've got factory LED taillights..

·
Registered
461 Posts
And these

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And these

Broomie JK Wrangler - Thank you +++ for the three links and for the extra note… very helpful in cutting through the volume of products out there. One last question if I may - my Jeep dealer has an adjacent customizing shop. You think they’d agree to install parts I buy myself (i.e., it purchased through them)? I’ll call them to ask, of course, but would like an idea of what kind of reaction I might get from them. Also, I live in a fairly rural area so I don’t think there are many good options for getting stuff installed other than the dealer. And if there were, say, electrical issues later that I need handled under warranty, I wouldn’t want to give them the ability to point their finger at some garage I might go to as an alternative to the dealer doing the installation for me, and claiming the garage was the cause of my electrical issues… thus nullifying the warranty on account of that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Broomie JK Wrangler - Thank you +++ for the three links and for the extra note… very helpful in cutting through the volume of products out there. One last question if I may - my Jeep dealer has an adjacent customizing shop. You think they’d agree to install parts I buy myself (i.e., it purchased through them)? I’ll call them to ask, of course, but would like an idea of what kind of reaction I might get from them. Also, I live in a fairly rural area so I don’t think there are many good options for getting stuff installed other than the dealer. And if there were, say, electrical issues later that I need handled under warranty, I wouldn’t want to give them the ability to point their finger at some garage I might go to as an alternative to the dealer doing the installation for me, and claiming the garage was the cause of my electrical issues… thus nullifying the warranty on account of that.
NYC Allan - You're most welcome. As you'll come to find out us Jeepers step up to help a fellow Jeeper out..This is the place to come as there's thousands of hours of wealth on Jeeps.

As for your concerns down the road and possibly voiding your warranty, or your dealership having a hissy fit over the upgrades you or another shop have done. Look at it this way, what you're doing is "plug and play" meaning you've removed the old factory Halogen lights and replaced them with factory LED lights.. For example the DRL you simply unplug the old wiring harness and plug in the new ones.. Same goes for the fog lights and the headlights..The only way the dealership could remember that you changed them is run your VIN and check the details.

I was also told by others here that I "might" need to have the vehicles computer "flashed" or purchase a Tazer tool to do that myself.. I'd checked with my dealership about my Wrangler needing this? I was told no, they'd ran my VIN and my Jeep was OK, and would not need to do anything.. My thinking is yours obviously will be newer than mine, so also not need to flash your vehicles computer. I suspect being a Sahara and LED taillights and headlights are an option the vehicle's programming is already set up for LED's. So should be transparent.

As for the other customizing shop doing the work? All you can do it ask them. The DRL's will be the most difficult to swap out. You need to remove the inner fender liners to gain access to the lights and the wiring harness. IF you trim around the outside of the wheelwell is like mine you'll need to drill out the POM rivets. Then you need to replace those plus have the tool to do so.. you also might want a floor jack to jack the body up to allow extra room between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender.

Curious what color did you order?

And you sound like me a few gray hairs, I'm an engineer and 9 months from retirement hopefully.

·
Registered
461 Posts
NYC Allan - see link below on the thread I'd started concerning factory LED's, there's some photos also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NYC Allan - You're most welcome. As you'll come to find out us Jeepers step up to help a fellow Jeeper out..This is the place to come as there's thousands of hours of wealth on Jeeps.

As for your concerns down the road and possibly voiding your warranty, or your dealership having a hissy fit over the upgrades you or another shop have done. Look at it this way, what you're doing is "plug and play" meaning you've removed the old factory Halogen lights and replaced them with factory LED lights.. For example the DRL you simply unplug the old wiring harness and plug in the new ones.. Same goes for the fog lights and the headlights..The only way the dealership could remember that you changed them is run your VIN and check the details.

I was also told by others here that I "might" need to have the vehicles computer "flashed" or purchase a Tazer tool to do that myself.. I'd checked with my dealership about my Wrangler needing this? I was told no, they'd ran my VIN and my Jeep was OK, and would not need to do anything.. My thinking is yours obviously will be newer than mine, so also not need to flash your vehicles computer. I suspect being a Sahara and LED taillights and headlights are an option the vehicle's programming is already set up for LED's. So should be transparent.

As for the other customizing shop doing the work? All you can do it ask them. The DRL's will be the most difficult to swap out. You need to remove the inner fender liners to gain access to the lights and the wiring harness. IF you trim around the outside of the wheelwell is like mine you'll need to drill out the POM rivets. Then you need to replace those plus have the tool to do so.. you also might want a floor jack to jack the body up to allow extra room between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender.

Curious what color did you order?

And you sound like me a few gray hairs, I'm an engineer and 9 months from retirement hopefully.
Thanks again, Broomie JK Wrangler… extremely helpful detail (albeit a bit daunting re the DRLs!). But I agree, in my mind’s eye, I can see the front won’t look right with a mix of halogen and LED lighting… must be 100% to look right. I’ll be sure to confirm I have a knowledgeable tech who knows about 4-pin vs. 3-pin for the headlights (a YouTube by a guy tagged Deeper Image Automotive claims he had to swap out wiring harnesses between some sort of controller hub and the headlight, because if you don’t have the LED Package from the factory - he claims - you’ll only have 3 pins at the headlight; the 4th pin is what makes the halo illuminate and also blink (amber?) when turn-signaling)… perhaps not the case with mine, as you offered… maybe my halogens will have a 4th pin available; we’ll see). As for color, we went with Sting Gray… since the Altitude package uses black instead of chrome exterior badging and trim, we thought Sting-Gray with black accents would look sort-of military/battleship-like… i.e., cool and moderately intimidating… I’m just 160 lbs, so need some image support! Thought about white, because we’re in a sunny/hot environment (half the year, anyway), but again, liked the Sting Gray look. Also, as you and our fellow Forum members may know, at this time Jeep will only take orders for the 4 cylinder turbo or 3.0L ecoDiesel; you can’t order the 3.6L gas V6 (unless you do so with the 6-speed manual; all our pre-NYC vehicles were manual, so we’re vets in that regard, but we’re seeking more ease these days). So we went with the ecoDiesel (which sounds a bit military, aurally harmonizing with the Sting Gray and black trim visuals). Hang in there for those remaining 9 months… I highly recommend retirement… am the happiest and most stress-free that I’ve been in decades… probably since I was at the beach for summer vacation in junior high! Take care.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts