Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed some small oil spots in my garage from my 2001 TJ, 75k. Trying to determine if it's the rear main seal, oil pan seal or anything else I haven't thought of. Oil seems to be dripping from in between the oil pan and the transmission. Any ideas? I'm trying to go the DIY route if possible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have good step by step instructions on replacing either the RMS or oil pan seal? This will be my first significant work on the jeep on my own

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can Google and find a number of detailed instructions with pictures. Try You Tube as well. I'm doing mine in a couple weeks, the RMS at Napa was around $15 for the seal itself.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the rms...i've got one as well but to buy some time i'm just running some 5w30 mobil 1 half way in the "good" on the dipstick and it doesnt leak at the moment...

Like smee said, you can google it and i think theres a decent step by step on another jeep forum that i saw when was researching mine.

go iowa state

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oil Pan Leak

Have an oil leak myself, but determined someone cross threaded one of the bolts on the oil pan and it isnt tightened down - you guys/gals recommend trying to re-tap myself (no experience) or is it cheap enough to have a shop do?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I answered that question on this thread.

Mac

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have an oil leak myself, but determined someone cross threaded one of the bolts on the oil pan and it isnt tightened down - you guys/gals recommend trying to re-tap myself (no experience) or is it cheap enough to have a shop do?
If you're careful you can do it yourself. Not really that hard to do. You want to use a bottoming tap though not a regular one. A bottoming tap has a flat tip instead of the usual pointed tip. Go slow and keep the shavings cleaned out. As soon as it feels like it's getting snug, back it out and check your depth. You DON'T want to have to dig a broken tap out. I've done several at work on a much larger scale on big rigs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Joshpeb2 said:
If you're careful you can do it yourself. Not really that hard to do. You want to use a bottoming tap though not a regular one. A bottoming tap has a flat tip instead of the usual pointed tip. Go slow and keep the shavings cleaned out. As soon as it feels like it's getting snug, back it out and check your depth. You DON'T want to have to dig a broken tap out. I've done several at work on a much larger scale on big rigs.
Thanks for the info. Exactly why i ask- wouldnt have known to use a bottoming tap. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Are you sure it's not your valve cover? I know mine leaks/sweats from the rear and over time oil drips down the back of the engine to the area you talked about. Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts