Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’m looking into installing a 2.5” lift on my 2013 4 Door Jeep Wrangler JK, but I’m having trouble figuring out what type of lift I need. I currently have 33” all-terrain tires.

My Jeep is my only vehicle and until it becomes my “play” vehicle, I refuse to do anything dangerous with it (rock crawling, etc). I’ll take it out in mud and moderate trails. Having said that, for now, the lift is for aesthetics and so I can put 35” tires on.

Keeping that in mind, what type of kit should I get? I was looking into this kit from Terraflex that has shock extenders: https://teraflex.com/news_items/teraflex-jk-jeep-wrangler-and-jku-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-leveling-kit-and-lift-kit-and-suspension-system-guide

...but I’m not knowledgeable enough to decide if I should get shock extenders, new shocks, or neither. Maybe a spring lift? I don’t want to install something that’s adequate short-term but then will be crap down the road.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I went with the 2.5 AEV based on a lot of research and recommendations from knowledge people on this forum. I could NOT BE happier with the ride and handling on my Jeep now. It's actually improved the OEM ride which is what I'm the happiest about. I did use the Geo Bracketts (again recommended here) and my alignment is dead on. I'm also not a serious off roader (few trails, etc) so this lift will serve me well. BTW I'm running 285/75/17 with 1.5" spacers. I believe the price of (970.00 + 100 geo brackets) is excellent value. I know there are much more expensive lift kits with more off road capability but for my needs the AEV is terrific.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have more options than you can fathom. Some are better than others.

My overall recommendation is to get the Metalcloak 2.5" lift that has been linked above. I have this kit and I can't tell you how happy I am with the way the kit rides.

Second. I would grab a 2" puck lift from AEV or Teraflex since your wheeling seems to be on the lighter end of things. It would suit you just fine. I have never had one so I can't comment on the ride quality.

Third. Put on the Teraflex 1.5" puck leveling kit and your choice of flat fenders and you'll be able to stuff a 35" tire. This was the first suspension setup I had and it worked for my goal of fitting 35s. Rides like stock still.

Lastly, no matter which you choose, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Hey guys,

I’m looking into installing a 2.5” lift on my 2013 4 Door Jeep Wrangler JK, but I’m having trouble figuring out what type of lift I need. I currently have 33” all-terrain tires.

My Jeep is my only vehicle and until it becomes my “play” vehicle, I refuse to do anything dangerous with it (rock crawling, etc). I’ll take it out in mud and moderate trails. Having said that, for now, the lift is for aesthetics and so I can put 35” tires on.

Keeping that in mind, what type of kit should I get? I was looking into this kit from Terraflex that has shock extenders: https://teraflex.com/news_items/teraflex-jk-jeep-wrangler-and-jku-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-leveling-kit-and-lift-kit-and-suspension-system-guide

...but I’m not knowledgeable enough to decide if I should get shock extenders, new shocks, or neither. Maybe a spring lift? I don’t want to install something that’s adequate short-term but then will be crap down the road.

Thanks for your advice!
Here's what I would do, giving the way you use your JK

The AEV 2.5 DualSport kit with the GC brackets is an awesome kit!

You definitely do not want to go cheap budget kits for your JK suspension.

I have 2 JKUWW's in the family, and my JK. They are all daily drivers, and light weekend off roaders. We do overland style wheeling, so nothing hard core. All three are using this kit. All on 315/70-17 Cooper ST-Maxx(D rated) @ 28 psi. The 2 door is on AEV Salta wheels, one 4 door is on stock Willys wheels with spacers, and the other 4 door is on Bully Pro wheels.
The tires on the 2 door have 46k miles and still going strong.

What works really good on a daily driver, moderate off-roader is that 2.5 kit, with the Geometry Correction brackets.
Rough Country 1134 rear sway bar links, and move the OEM rear links to the front, eliminating the brackets.
Pro Comp Suspension front brake line extension/lowering brackets,
90-7203, and 90-7204, these allow just unbolting, and rebolting the front brake line brackets instead of removing the factory brackets.

This kit handles awesome on a JK. My little 2 door handles like a little sports car. They do not wander, they do not nose dive, and are really fun to drive on the road, and off. In my opinion, they handle and drive better than stock. These suspension systems were designed by one of the engineers that developed the JK suspension.

You can click on the bold type, and it will give you ideas of what I'm discussing.

Good luck, and have fun with your project.

Here's the '15 JKUWW on OEM wheels and 315's

and the '16 JKUWW on Bully Pro's and 315's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts