Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2012 Jeep sport with manual tranny. It is like my baby. My wife does not know how to drive manual but feels the need to learn.:facepalm: I guess because I told her that we needed the Jeep if for some reason one of us needed a car when the other was being used. (I knew that this would rarely if ever happen):angel:. Point is I dont want her driving MY jeep! Love her to death but I have seen what she has done to our Grand Cherokee and my mind and heart races at the endless possibilites of what can go wrong. Has anyone else been in this positon and how did you deal with it.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Teach her how to drive it and be sure she knows how you feel about the Jeep. Maybe if she sees how much you care for it, she will treat it better herself.

I tried to teach my wife how to drive a manual once. It was my street/strip fox body Mustang with drag radials, drag suspension, and an insane clutch. Needless to say, she has had no interest to drive a manual again. Bwahahaha.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Try to rent a car with manual transmission for a weekend and have her practice on that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Taught my wife how do drive stick long before we were even married and im always comfortable handing her the keys to any of my cars. Best bet would be to teach your wife and let her drive for awhile with you in the car, see how she handles it. If its satisfactory then you have no worries when shes driving alone. If she stinks be honest and try and fix the problem. At the end of the day your wife comes in the house and the jeep stays outside, do you want to be outside with the jeep? I think not:thumb:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: If you plan on----EVER----taking your jeep off the road (whodathunk)--then

You better teach her how to driveit, because if something ever happens and you need a co-pilot--she is it-

If not--then get rid of one or the other--simple !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
:whistling: If you plan on----EVER----taking your jeep off the road (whodathunk)--then

You better teach her how to driveit, because if something ever happens and you need a co-pilot--she is it-

If not--then get rid of one or the other--simple !

If only it were that simple! My wife has no interest in driving a manual, hence why I (we) bought an automatic.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Yeah you got plenty of clutch to handle her learning on it.

Heck, didn't someone burn up a little clutch teaching you at one point? ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife knows how i feel about the Jeep and therefore i know she would only use it if absolutely necessary. Thanks for the suggestions. I think if she were ever to hurt the Jeep it would probably hurt her more than me. A big open parking lot it is and baby steps.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D ---BINGO--

If only it were that simple! My wife has no interest in driving a manual, hence why I (we) bought an automatic.
Thats part of the story behind me getting rid of the 6spd Xterra and getting the auto-'08 JKUR

Thats only part of the story, but an important reason !!

A lotta us ride the same boat !

·
Registered
116 Posts
X-2, You'll just have to suck it up, bite the bullet and help her thru it... I had almost the same problem, rented a jeep, and let her know, the Jeep can be tricky,and that by using the rental, she can learn some of the traits that a Jeep has... Good Luck, and be smoooooth about it... Bob-:angel:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:D ---BINGO--

Thats part of the story behind me getting rid of the 6spd Xterra and getting the auto-'08 JKUR

Thats only part of the story, but an important reason !!

A lotta us ride the same boat !

Your jeep looks totally different now

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Heh Heh, yeah, thats true-

Your jeep looks totally different now
The last time I was in California withit-I took it by the Dealer to show Eric (pic) the manager--

He says, where's the jeep I sold you--this isn't it and this one's from Nevada !!

After he changed his mind, he tried to sell me a 2012 JKUR---

·
Registered
95 Posts
On the one hand, what's the worst that will happen? She'll get a few bumper badges, it's a Jeep. I certainly know the feeling. I've had my Jeep a year, and ya the first broken part and the first trail rash stung a lot... But honestly, I bought it because it was a Jeep and I didn't have to baby it, I could USE it!

Now, what's the best thing that could happen? She learns to drive it, goes wheeling with you, loves it... That's when you slip it in... "You know all those pings and scrapes, we'd get a lot less of those with 35" tires and a lift..." She'll be a lot quicker to say OK if she gets to have more fun too...

My .02

And come on, who doesn't think chicks that drive sticks are just a little better lookin'?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
leadZERO said:
On the one hand, what's the worst that will happen? She'll get a few bumper badges, it's a Jeep. I certainly know the feeling. I've had my Jeep a year, and ya the first broken part and the first trail rash stung a lot... But honestly, I bought it because it was a Jeep and I didn't have to baby it, I could USE it!

Now, what's the best thing that could happen? She learns to drive it, goes wheeling with you, loves it... That's when you slip it in... "You know all those pings and scrapes, we'd get a lot less of those with 35" tires and a lift..." She'll be a lot quicker to say OK if she gets to have more fun too...

My .02

And come on, who doesn't think chicks that drive sticks are just a little better lookin'?
^^ little bit :)

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
717 Posts
My recommendation would be to teach her first on a rental car and when she at least gets the hang of it, you can then finish her lessons on the Wrangler.

It's good to have her learn to drive stick because you never know when you might need her help.

I was lucky that my wife already knew how to drive stick when I met her. That was such a blessing. In fact, all her previous driving was on stick, until she started driving my automatic Honda accord way back when we just moved in together.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've often wondered if 4L would be easier or harder to learn on... On the one hand find a 1 mile straight away on a country road and you could practice starts and stops for hours. And the low range will force people to concentrate on their clutch foot rather than gas...

But I've never had someone to try that on...

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
leadZERO said:
I've often wondered if 4L would be easier or harder to learn on... On the one hand find a 1 mile straight away on a country road and you could practice starts and stops for hours. And the low range will force people to concentrate on their clutch foot rather than gas...

But I've never had someone to try that on...
No gas slowly off clutch.

That's how I learned on my YJ.

Most people try to balance it out and stall.

The jeeps low end will pull itself along in first gear just fine.
My Rubi w/ 4.10's will also in 2nd.

2-up is the easy part

1 - 20 of 43 Posts