Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a all factory 88 YJ, just wanted to get a few ideas for the "veteran jeep" guys on a few mods.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a all factory 88 YJ, just wanted to get a few ideas for the "veteran jeep" guys on a few mods.

What are your plans/goals for it? What type of terrain?

Lift and tires are generally the most popular first add ons. A few more details would help in being able to make suggestions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't done this to mine yet but the Chevy blower motor upgrade seems popular and one upgrade I did was put sylvania silverstar h6054 headlights and it is a world of difference

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just me thinking out loud.......

I have an 88 YJ I bought almost a year ago. Since then I have just been checking out the frame, suspension, drive train, wiring etc. etc. Also been working as much overtime as I can get to buy parts. My thoughts were to remove the body then the drive train and to start with the frame and suspension. I wanted to have as many new parts for the job as I could stock pile. I was hoping the build would go faster they way. For the most part it's gone that way. Having said that I'm hitting a wall here because every time I read someones post I get more really great ideas. Sorry for dragging this out but the point is this, think about what you want from your jeep. Try to form a plan and then just go for it. Good luck and have fun. Also there's a wealth of knowledge out here from forum members. Just ask as many questions and sooner or later some one will post up and help you. Again, just me thinking out loud...Gunny Out!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have an 88 YJ I bought almost a year ago. Since then I have just been checking out the frame, suspension, drive train, wiring etc. etc. Also been working as much overtime as I can get to buy parts. My thoughts were to remove the body then the drive train and to start with the frame and suspension. I wanted to have as many new parts for the job as I could stock pile. I was hoping the build would go faster they way. For the most part it's gone that way. Having said that I'm hitting a wall here because every time I read someones post I get more really great ideas. Sorry for dragging this out but the point is this, think about what you want from your jeep. Try to form a plan and then just go for it. Good luck and have fun. Also there's a wealth of knowledge out here from forum members. Just ask as many questions and sooner or later some one will post up and help you. Again, just me thinking out loud...Gunny Out!!!
yep...drive it and enjoy it for now while you look at others and decide what you really want.and of course,stick back all the bucks you can.so many will put a body lift on so they can put 31's,then a suspension lift so they can run 33's,then regear it so they can run 35's before finally deciding that they really want 37's..it is by far cheaper in the long run to just do it one time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my original plans were a lift and tires, and maybe making my own Rubicon package for my YJ. I plan on doing some light wheeling on the weekends like trail riding that sorta thing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would suggest go SOA...no extra on lift. put on bigger tires and have plenty of clearance. replace D35 at same time with a 8.8. t would give you a good lift ( around 5 inches ) and a world of possibilities from there.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would suggest go SOA...no extra on lift. put on bigger tires and have plenty of clearance. replace D35 at same time with a 8.8. t would give you a good lift ( around 5 inches ) and a world of possibilities from there.
SOA is more for someone whom is a hardcore offroader, not the weekend wheeler. No weekend wheeler wants to drop $1500+ and several weekends through months just to SOA their Jeep the right way...

A simple set of 2.5" lift springs, some good shocks, a set of 31" tires and you have yourself a good weekend wheeler setup. Don't forget to delete the Track Bars, then empty the Recycle bin...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
SOA is more for someone whom is a hardcore offroader, not the weekend wheeler. No weekend wheeler wants to drop $1500+ and several weekends through months just to SOA their Jeep the right way...

A simple set of 2.5" lift springs, some good shocks, a set of 31" tires and you have yourself a good weekend wheeler setup. Don't forget to delete the Track Bars, then empty the Recycle bin...
I agree.. There's a lot of work, time, & money involved in SOA if he's just doing some weekend wheeling or moderate trails.
Definitely ditch the trac bars as mentioned and small lift and some A/T tires will make a world of difference. Depending on your driving/offroad skills, you could go through some pretty serious trails with just these mods as long as there not huge ruts that require 40" tires to clear.
After you wheel like that for a while and find out just how capable these things are, then step up and add a locker or winch to pull you through the more difficult stuff. You'd be amazed at what these things will get you through with a little skill :thumb:

·
Registered
568 Posts
My ideal weekend wheeler would be: 4 inch lift, 33s, ford 8.8 rear,(4.10s-4.56) beefy front bumper, A winch with a 2 inch reciver and to top it all off with some sweet lights. Also if you have a hardtop, i would suggest getting a soft top. wwwaaay better. and for engine mods just keep it simple with a nutter and MC 2150

·
Registered
742 Posts
My ideal weekend wheeler would be: 4 inch lift, 33s, ford 8.8 rear,(4.10s-4.56) beefy front bumper, A winch with a 2 inch reciver and to top it all off with some sweet lights. Also if you have a hardtop, i would suggest getting a soft top. wwwaaay better. and for engine mods just keep it simple with a nutter and MC 2150
I really like you Wrangler. Such great advice from a man running an UN-nuttered Carter carb. Just kidding...you are one of my favorites on the Forum. Just breaking. ...........

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
My ideal Jeep would be 35's, dana 80's, Chrysler 440. Lol. I'm messing around tho but I would want a bigger Jeep all around. Oh and a roof rack, over the tire rack. Just a Jeep that's a mule. I would want a strong, reliable Jeep that can carry pounds of camping/hiking gear out in the desert/forest. I'd look like someone from Oklahoma during the dust bowl.

·
Registered
742 Posts
[QUOTE I'd look like someone from Oklahoma during the dust bowl.[/QUOTE]

Chico you slay me. Now you are Henry Fonda in 'Grapes Of Wrath". Priceless

·
Registered
250 Posts
how do you figure 1500 to go SOA ? I didn't spend near that much.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
My ideal Jeep would be 35's, dana 80's, Chrysler 440. Lol. I'm messing around tho but I would want a bigger Jeep all around. Oh and a roof rack, over the tire rack. Just a Jeep that's a mule. I would want a strong, reliable Jeep that can carry pounds of camping/hiking gear out in the desert/forest. I'd look like someone from Oklahoma during the dust bowl.

LOL, That's what my Ram 2500 Turbo is for, my jeep is for playing off road, with a set up you want you'll stay hung-up Ha Ha! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
how do you figure 1500 to go SOA ? I didn't spend near that much.
Components (there is no such thing as a "kit") costs, often times you need new springs depending on how bad your OEM leafs are.

Perches, springs, shocks, steering components, SYE conversion, etc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You stiil there?

Matts88YJ...where'd you go brother?...sorry your thread got highjacked...keep the mod questions coming...I was just thinking about my YJ...I was originally going to rebuild my 4.2, find a AX15 tranny, axel upgrades... but then I decided to drop in a SBC...it's a 383 stroker I had built for a hotrod...now I have to change gears with my build plan...I will need to rework the tranny, again...the body bushing kit I bought might have to be swapped for a body lift kit now...I quess this kind of thing will happen so that's why I suggested earlier to really try and come up with a solid plan and hopefully you won't end up changing it in mid stride like I did...the biggest issue for me is what the costs of these changes will be...again I would suggest you read as many build threads as you can...pay attention to Ibuildembig, harleydragon, rykemic and a few others...they have done amazing things with their jeeps and have been a great source of information and motivation for me...and it goes without saying they are willing to help out with sound advice...keep planning brother...Gunny Out!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i didnt wanna build it too far extreme, yea sure if i had the money it would be 1 ton axles front and rear, sbc drivetrain and 35's, but i dont have that kind of funds laying around. I think ill go with the 3 inch lift with 31's just to start off, thanks a bunch guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts