Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been having a slow transmission fluid leak for a while now and would like some input on what the cause could be.

It seems to be leaking from the bottom of the transmission bell housing. Rate is a few drops every couple of days when it's sitting. When I run the Jeep it seems to increase a bit.

Have you had this problem before and if so what did you do to fix it?

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like a rear main seal oil leak. Trans fluid is reddish, oil blackish. Which color is it?

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
If you are positive it is AFT and not oil it could be from the torque converter or the front seal of the transmission. Unfortunately in both instances the transmission must come out for repair. I would want to be 100% certain it is ATF and it is not coming from the pan and appears to be coming from between the engine and transmission.

Reactions: gsindela

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere that if the fluid is overfilled a bit it has an overflow and that this can cause leakage from the bottom of the bell housing. Is this true with my 30RH auto tranny?

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
I read somewhere that if the fluid is overfilled a bit it has an overflow and that this can cause leakage from the bottom of the bell housing. Is this true with my 30RH auto tranny?
There is a possibility. I PM'ed you a link which might be helpful in finding the leak. Good luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought a siphon pump from harbor freight today. Worked pretty good! Sucked some of the Tranny fluid out, it was a tad over the full mark.

Took it for a spin until the fluid was to temp, about 15-20 min or so. Shifted through all the gears, secured E brake and left in neutral to check the fluid. Level was in the cross section of the stick. So I know it's good now. I will keep you updated on the bell housing leak to see if the drip continues, slows down or dries up.

Also wanted to add that where I live it's about 110 degrees today, I'm not sure if that affects the volume ratio of the fluid or not. When I filled it, it was in the winter and it was low then, so I'm wondering if the excessive heat here caused the fluid level to rise a bit more than normal? If so that's something you may want to consider on your fluid level if you deal with extreme temps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a possibility. I PM'ed you a link which might be helpful in finding the leak. Good luck.
Thank you for the link, very helpful. Short answer to my question earlier is yes, overfilling the transmission fluid can result in leakage from the vent and the bell housing. I think my having slightly overfilled it combined with the very hot weather here resulted in the leakage. I'm going to give it a while and see if it dries up.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
Thank you for the link, very helpful. Short answer to my question earlier is yes, overfilling the transmission fluid can result in leakage from the vent and the bell housing. I think my having slightly overfilled it combined with the very hot weather here resulted in the leakage. I'm going to give it a while and see if it dries up.

Thanks again for the help.
Glad I could help. Hopefully you get it sorted out!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thank you for the link, very helpful
If you'd post the link here for future searchers. No point in a forum with help being done by PM.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you'd post the link here for future searchers. No point in a forum with help being done by PM.
I would like to do so, however the PM sent by Moderator did not work so he sent it to my personal email with a PDF attachment for a stock transmission repair manual. The attachment is too large to be attached to Post or PM. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts