Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am new to the jeep wrangler scene. I purchased a 87 wrangler with a 6cyl swap from an 89 cherokee.

the jeep was originally 2.4 4cyl

the transmission is 5 sp manual believed out of the 89 cherokee that the engine came out of

am trying to identify the rear gear ratio. I jacked up the rear end and marked the tire and the drive shaft. When i turn the tire ten times the drive shaft turns 19 and half and does not line back up.

The transfer case is 231 amc and ratio 2.72
numbers on rear diff 42968 028-8
front diff 40869 037

i want to run a 4.11 or 4.27 gear ratio as i am running 33 inch tires and its gutless at moment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are there no tags on the diff cover? Those other numbers are the axle housing #s I believe but there should be a little metal tag on the bolts of the cover. Unless someone has re geared it before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those are the numbers on the diff cover. no tags. unfortunately i have no previous info as it was a trade in for shop labor

·
Registered
107 Posts
An 87 Wrangler (YJ) with a manual transmission and a 2.5l 4 cylinder would have been 4.10 gears from the factory.

The tag that carlton referred to would be a vertical strip of tin bolted to the diff cover (perpendicular to the axle tubes). Be sure to check close, once these axles get to leaking, they accumulate lots of grit and dirt, and that thin tag can disappear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts