Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,

Been doing some searching and found a nice 2000 jeep se automatic 4x4 for my daughter. did some searching on here and the web looking for info on this model. Is there any thing i should look for specific to this jeep. Went over it and it looks nice, im a car guys and know cars and trucks but never owned a jeep. any issues like ball joints, steering linkage, etc. any onfo would eb greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Welcome to the board. I bought a 2000 TJ this summer. Just do as you would any used car, change the fluids so you know they're good. I waited a week then did another search for any leaks. I changes all my fluids and filters, checked the brakes, put conditioner on the 6 year old top. I could tell mine had never been off-road much if at all. Good luck and enjoy.
Chris

·
Registered
258 Posts
welcome to the board.

The SE I believe has a four cylinder engine, must people prefer the straight six more powere and it uses just a little more gas. One thing you want to do is take it for at least a twenty minute test drive and afterwards look under the vehicle for any fluid leaks after it cools down watch for drips where the engine and transmission join good be sign of rear engine seal going bad. While under there check the frame, oil pan, skid plate to see if there are any major dents and scrapes. This will give you a idea of how hard it was beat offroad and also if the frame is rusting.
Another good idea is take it to your mechanic and ask him to take a look at it if you can.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
only thing I see as problem is the 4 banger and the auto. I know this is for the daughter and I know you certainly don't want her to have some 500hp jeep. but the few auto 4 banger's I have driven where slow really slow. I think about situtinns like needing extra speed for on ramps, passing etc.. I think with 5spd is fine, but the auto and 4 is just way to under powdered imo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts