Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install JKS quicker disconnects and can't figure out how to get the mounting posts tightened down. All I've managed to do is bend several screw drivers. What are people doing to get these things tightened? I'm using a torque wrench, and trying to put something in the pin hole to keep them level, but I can't actually tightened anything. Advice?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I used an allen wrench. to stick thru the hole and hold it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've sheared off two already... Can still turn the mounting post by hand. I'm so confused as to why it's so difficult. I checked for cross threading and everything looks fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bent the hell out of a philips screwdriver but got them torqued. Sometimes something has to pay. heh

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bent the hell out of a philips screwdriver but got them torqued. Sometimes something has to pay. heh
I just finished up putting the stock links back on and took stock of my casualties.

3 Allen wrenches
2 punches
1 Phillips screw driver

The allens and punches all sheared off, and the screw driver bent so far it wouldn't actually stay in the hole anymore. When I bent the screw driver back it broke.

If it was just one post I would think okay, something is wrong with just that one. But I tried the driver side top and bottom and passenger side bottom, so I think it's something I'm missing about what to do.

I'm sure there is a solution, I just haven't found it! I'll be searching for a better screwdriver next week. Looks like tomorrow will be wheeling connected again.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I bent a thin screw driver by the end of installing. Took a few attempts to get the holes lined up perfectly vertical but I got them. I also added these Teraflex disconnect holders to connect my JKS links up and out of the way when disconnected.
TeraFlex Quick Disconnect Frame End Bracket Kit - TF-1601277

Reactions: DyersEve

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just finished up putting the stock links back on and took stock of my casualties.

3 Allen wrenches
2 punches
1 Phillips screw driver

The allens and punches all sheared off, and the screw driver bent so far it wouldn't actually stay in the hole anymore. When I bent the screw driver back it broke.

If it was just one post I would think okay, something is wrong with just that one. But I tried the driver side top and bottom and passenger side bottom, so I think it's something I'm missing about what to do.

I'm sure there is a solution, I just haven't found it! I'll be searching for a better screwdriver next week. Looks like tomorrow will be wheeling connected again.
Had a similar problem then realized there was one specific nut for the passenger side where the post is flat not pointed like the drivers side and the nut was thinner with a different thread. Once I tried that nut on the passenger side it threaded easily and was easy to tighten.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts