Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang, need some help here please. Went from a 2.5" AEV to a 3.5" GameChanger. AEV ride was stiffer than I'd like and was told the GC would be much smoother. Well, it's crazy bumpy especially in the rear. Actually, a much worse ride.

As this was 8 adjustable arms and caster of rear axle I had this installed by a trusted 4x4 shop. I checked the install and all looks right.

The shop feels it too. He called MC and they said it was because my 2 door JK was too light in the back with my rear seat removed and the tire not on the back with a HD tire carrier but inside. And because of that the springs aren't getting the resting weight they were designed for and thus everything else is bouncy.

I'm running 35" MTRk's at 25psi in the rear and 27psi in the front and that's giving me a good patch with a chalk test. So I don't think I can come down much more.

Can anyone help with ideas or suggestions please?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Give it 500-1000 miles. I know two guys running MC lifts (not game changer) and they had to break the springs in before the ride smoothed out. They are both in JKU's but it might be worth putting some miles on it to see if it smooths out.

Off subject but what are your thoughts on the AEV 2.5"? Mine is more of a trail/overland rig. I have been looking at the AEV as a replacement for my Procomp because I need on-road and off road performance.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've got about 650 miles on it already. No change yet. But maybe...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks. I've got about 650 miles on it already. No change yet. But maybe...
Worth a shot. Do they have any other spring rate options? I see on your signature you're running aftermarket bumpers so you would think that would more than make up for the weight lost when removing the seat.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worth a shot. Do they have any other spring rate options? I see on your signature you're running aftermarket bumpers so you would think that would more than make up for the weight lost when removing the seat.
Agreed. That's why I waited til after 500 miles to start asking for help.

Honestly, I'm not buying their answer. Supposedly they designed their springs for:
Aftermarket metal rear bumper with HD tire carrier and 35" swinging off it with rear seat.

I've got:
Aftermarket rear bumper, removed rear seat, 35" in the back, a 60# metal storage rack in the back, metal ace tube fenders.

Sure, I can say I may lighter, but nowhere near an amount that should cause any disruption from their design.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I agree with you. I have heard good things about their customer service, hopefully they will have options for you because you can't be much lighter. What does the rear seat weigh? Like 80 lbs? You should be within a few pounds of their spec, agreed that should't be enough to throw it horribly off.

On the plus side; I have seen the game changer in action and it is awesome on the trails!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you. I have heard good things about their customer service, hopefully they will have options for you because you can't be much lighter. What does the rear seat weigh? Like 80 lbs? You should be within a few pounds of their spec, agreed that should't be enough to throw it horribly off.

On the plus side; I have seen the game changer in action and it is awesome on the trails!
Thanks for thinking this through with me. Yes, on the trails it was fantastic. So hoping we get this ride part settled.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have the same lift on a 2 dr soft top, no spare and a factory rear bumper. Right now back seat is out and it is real light back there. I have Rancho 9000's and have the rears at a 3, front at 7 and tires at 26. It is pretty bouncy back there with no weight but seems good normally with seat and spare on it. Maybe your shocks are a little stiff for your Jeep. A 2dr will always ride a little rougher than a longer wheel base 4 dr anyways, I would call MC myself and talk it over with them. Hopefully you can get it worked out, it is a very good system when it is right. How much bumpstop do they have in the rear? Maybe your bottoming out on those?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also purchased 3.5 GC ARB edition but for a JKUR. My ride firmed up quite a bit from stock but the handling with stock bumpers and empty has always been great. It's not as supple or forgiving as it was stock but I really like the OME shock valving better than the stock ones...not as much bounce. The GC lift rides better and not as stiff as other lifts I have had I belive in part to their joint designs.

One thing to make sure of is that the suspension needs to be tightened after its on the ground not while in the air....even though by design it shouldn't matter that much but in my experience it does.
Maybe try adding 4 bags of sand to rear to see if 200 lbs help or not...easy way to see if it's too light in rear. Other possibility is to make sure you have the right shocks for the rear....mine showed up with wrong shocks but great customer service it was corrected quickly.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, I don't think you're getting this. In my rear cargo area I have:
60# 1/4" steel box
80# spare
15# hilift
Tools + chains + recovery gear
Add onto that 50# in metal tube fenders over the rears. And a 100#+ ACE rear bumper

I'm not a light Jeep in the back. It's just that my weight is not off the @ss end.

Idsport - I never had sport suspension. My Willys came with Rubicon suspension, then AEV, now MC. But I can compare to my gal's JK which rides like a Caddy next to mine :(

I spoke with MC and they were very nice. We have a plan of attack!
1) weight: get my spare onto the back (i'll use a hitch shelf so I don't have to undo my delete)
2) coils: adjust UCA's to change pinion angle
3) shocks: try running without shocks (neighborhood) to see if this helps and maybe the problem is the shocks

They committed to making me happy while running tire inside as I do have enough weight but we just need to partner together, deduct parts, and find the solution.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sorry I wasn't comparing our set ups, I was just saying what I have noticed with mine recently since I temporarily lost some weight in the rear. Wasn't even sure if it would help your situation, just a little general input of a 2 door with that lift. Hopefully their suggestions will help you get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please, don't apologize. Sorry if I sounded mean. I've had to explain this to a dozen people and it seems everyone has challenged my weight.

I'm totally with you. I know from pickups to my 2500 Suburban that I use to tow. If there's no weight over the @ss the ride suffers.

thank you for giving me other things to consider!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Please, don't apologize. Sorry if I sounded mean. I've had to explain this to a dozen people and it seems everyone has challenged my weight. I'm totally with you. I know from pickups to my 2500 Suburban that I use to tow. If there's no weight over the @ss the ride suffers. thank you for giving me other things to consider!
It's all good, no problems here. Hope something works, these JK's are a little too refined compared to our old TJ's.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, my TJ rode better than my JK does now :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts