Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here! so Hello and Thank you for reading this!

If I am posting in the wrong forum, or this has been answered a million times, or I am breaking any established WranglerForum.com etiquette, please forgive me and direct me to where I need to go and I will be glad to delete my post and find my answer elswhere! <3

I have wanted a Jeep Wrangler ALL OF MY LIFE! It is only now, in my 30's that I am finally able to get myself one. Unfortunately, I didn't have a dad, and don't now have a husband who knows anything about vehicles.

So, with that, I am depending on you, dear WranglerForum, to help me decide on a vehicle and how to modify it to my needs!

Anyone feel up to the challenge?!!

This vehicle will be my primary means of transportation. I work in town, so I won't be driving long distances and need a terribly comfortable vehicle. I am used to driving trucks and old VW bugs, so I'm not spoiled with the best amenities, but now that I'm older, I'd like to treat myself a little. I always fantasized about the two seater, but I have some nieces and older relatives I take back and forth to the doc, and I think that with wheelchairs, etc, I will need the Unlimited style Wrangler.

Now for the fun stuff! I live in the Southeast, in a flood prone area. Not HUGE floods, but chronic, small swampy floods, that flood out low sedans. We also have a problem with downed pine trees blocking our roads, or downed oak limbs- nothing HUGE, but not something you'd try to go over in a mustang. :) I have NO plans to rock crawl, but I do have friends that "mud bog" in their older style jeeps every so often, and I'm kinda tired of riding shot gun all the time. It would be nice to have my own jeep to take out. Also, I have vacation/ retirement property which exists at the end of a looooong dirt road that seldom gets graded. It is full of potholes and ruts and turns into its own style of red Georgia clay mud on and off during the year.

So- I want a jeep that I can feel secure in getting home in during small flash floods, maybe crossing downed tree limbs, moving through mud, and across holey roads. Lastly, I'd like to be able to tow a small trailer on which mine and my husbands motorcycles would be, or our small camping trailer.

I'm thinking the standard Sport would be fine and that the Rubicon would be overkill considering that 90% of this Jeeps life will be on the road. To be extra comfortable, I could spend my extra dollars and get the Sahara package, but I don't need the Rubicon equipment since I am not climbing rocks. Is this correct?

What jeep would you suggest I buy and what modifications would you suggest I add! I am SOOO excited and have NO ONE I know to talk this over. As you can imagine, most ladies my age are not this into Jeeps and their old Honda CB350s! :)

Thanks so much! <3

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sahara and Rubicon are nice, but not what you need.

Pick up a sport and read the forum about modding.

If it were me in your situation, I would buy the Unlimited, Dual Top Sport, (with any creature comfort you want) and then swap the tires with 33" Duratacs. Maybe a leveling kit.

Oh and a tow package.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
^2, I like the duratracs for their all around grip and performance. Not to expensive either, 33 is about the max you'd want to run for a tire size without regearing the drive train.

Also, start thinking of your basic rescue tool kit. Based off what your saying, you'll want some dry clothes, an extra pair of boots and maybe a hand saw. Straps work great for dragging trees as well. And see if you can get one with a factory tow package. The normal bumper hitches arn't good for motorcycles and such. Maybe a jet ski but that would be about it. For hauling other heavy stuff you'll want a good reese type hitch that bolts into the frame in the back.

Good luck! You came to the right place to start planning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The older relatives part throws me off. How old are they? Jeeps, even stock ones, sit high. Will they be able to get up into the Jeep?

Why not take an older relative and a niece with you for a test drive of both the 2dr and 4dr models? I'm sure both would love the adventure of helping you choose your new ride. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OMG!!LOL!! :) Didn't think about getting Granny In and OUT of the damn thing! I guess I just figured it would still be about hip height! I will def, take this into consideration. I normally use a sliding board to get her in and out of trucks, suv's, etc, but they prob don't sit as high as jeeps! Good food for thought. The nieces are like tree monkeys. No issues there! :)

Thank you for the great responses so far! I hadn't even started thinking about what to put INTO my jeep! I have been soaked to the bone on more than one occasion sitting in my car! <3

·
Registered
162 Posts
My dad is over 70 and though he can walk he does have serious mobility issues. A grab handle helped a lot. Same with my mother in law.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Consider buying it stock and driving it that way for a year while you decide what mods you really want. It does sound like you need the space of an unlimited.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
My dad is over 70 and though he can walk he does have serious mobility issues. A grab handle helped a lot. Same with my mother in law.

If that is your dad's hand, it looks good for 70
If that is your mother in laws hand, she looks pretty hairy scary.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
they don't sit to high stock I would get an automatic with a 6 cye if you want to pull anything. You will do fine with that them start moding as you have time and of course MONEY

·
Registered
69 Posts
My bride wanted a Jeep as her "mid-life crisis" vehicle as she calls it (but neither of you are "mid-life"...but I'll let that bide... :p). Our list of qualifications was close to yours:

- daily driver
- part-time people hauler
- part-time cargo hauler
- must be able to tow a trailer carrying two full-size motorcycles
- power windows/door locks/etc (her current vehicle was a bare-bones Chevy Blazer and she wanted some creature comforts)
- convertible top
- MacGyver had to have driven one

Okay - so the last two were put in by my bride because she's always wanted a Jeep. But I'll let that bide...

The only vehicle that fit the bill was a Jeep. So we got a 2012 Jeep Unlimited Sport with the "S" package (powered creature comforts) and the max tow package. So far, it's been everything we expected it to be. Plenty of power, nice ride - heck the gas mileage and ride quality were far better than we expected it to be as Wranglers have the reputation for being bucking-bronco-gas-hog types. This Jeep is...well...can you use the words "refined" and "Jeep" in the same sentence? :p

I agree with previous posters - gather your relations, hie thee to the Jeep dealer, see if they can hoist themselves into a Wrangler Unlimited. If so, you just might have a winner. :)

(oh yeah...we put the grab straps in, too...they do help with entry and egress)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I agree with the above statements, however let me add A/T tires give plenty of grip and still ride nicely and relatively quietly. 31-33" is a good size but you can make that decision after driving for a while. Add a bumper with a couple of d-ring attachments, if you ever have to move a small tree out of the road or be pulled out from being stuck they will be invaluable. Lastly invest in a good quality hi-lift type jack ( and learn how to use of properly!) They can be used for winching jacking spreading and several other invaluable tasks, and the stock jeep jack won't get the job done especially with larger tires.

Just my 2¢

1 - 12 of 12 Posts