Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thank you in advance for your input.

As you will be able to tell from my questions I am newbie. I have read all the tutorials up here and have talked to a few different shops. It seems I read and think I get it and then talk to someone and they turn it all around and no one seems to agree on anything. I just wanted to put it all on the table and see what you guys think.

Here goes, I have a 2007 2 Door Wrangler X. I want a more aggressive feel. This is a dialy driver, but plan on doing some off-roading.

My Question(s): I would like to get a Teraflex 2.5 kit with 17" rims and 35" x 12.5" tires. Now I have the stock 3.21 gears. Will I have to upgrade my gears? Also, will a 2.5" lift be okay with 35" tires? If you do need to upgrade the gears with 35" tires, what about 33"?

Sorry if you have heard these questions before. I am sure you have. I just keep getting different answers.

I have a 5000 dollar budget and my goal is to get a modest lift with 35" tires new rims and then I will add bumpers, rockers, etc. with what I have left over. If anything...

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You don't "have" to change the gears, but you'll want to. I just put 33" tires on my 2010 with 3.73's and I could tell the difference. I can't imagine how big of a dog my JK would be with 35's and 3.21 gears. If the weather is good today, I'll post a pic of mine, I just installed the Teraflex 1"/2" leveling kit on it last night and I think it looks pretty good. I'm running 295/75/16's which measure about 33.5"s diameter and about 11.5 inches wide.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
A gear upgrade would definitely be a good idea, especially with the 3.8 minivan engine, even with 33s. A 2.5 lift would be fine with 35s.

If you search for the "WF Favorite Lift Kit" post, lift stuff around $1k-ish if I remember correctly, plus $1000-2000 regear (depends on market), plus 35 inch tires - should definitely be doable on a $5k budget. If you wheel, add in some C gussets (pretty cheap, like under $100, just need to get welded on but shouldnt be ridiculously expensive to do do). You may be able to squeak by new sliders as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
That one ^^^^^

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all very much. I really appreciate all your responses.

Looks like I will be doing the gears. Need to start pricing everything out. Want to get as much as I can done within my budget. I will document the builds and post them up. Hoping to at least try to do some, if not most of the work myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts