Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads on lifts, wheels, and tires – I think I’ve read them all. I’m still a little confused on where to go for what I am trying to do. New here, so go easy on me...

Some background --
I bought a Jeep for four main reasons, in order of priority –

(1) We can get a lot of snow here and I have a very long driveway and a plow guy who’s often slow to get to us. I got stuck 3 times last year in my AWD sedan.
(2) I want a convertible and a 4WD vehicle. I don’t want either to be my DD. I only want 2 cars for myself.
(3) I’d like to do some (comparatively) light off-roading and check out a Jeep event near me to see if it’s something my wife, kids and I enjoy together.
(4) I’ve got a couple of girls who will be driving in 3-4 years and like Wranglers. I’ve listened to them beg me to get a Jeep since they were little…

So – I ordered a Rubicon Unlimited HR (w/4.1 gearing) a month or so ago. It’s been built and I’m patiently waiting for the train. Here’s what I could use some help with:

Based on reading comments, I’m going to get a set of winter wheels and tires. That’s decided. Going to get some Pintler wheels for summer. What would be a great set of 33” winter tires to put on the stock Rubi wheels? And, if I use the stock tires in summer on the new wheels, they're 32", correct?

MOPAR 2.5” lift by dealer with warranty, or something else? And, if something else, what and why? I’d like a reliable and quality product done textbook – what should I pay and ask for?

I’m going to change out the front bumper and add a winch. I like the Barricade TrailForce HD bumper. What’s the ‘buy-it-once’ Winch that will last the 10 years I plan to own the Jeep and work the 3 times I ever use it, lol?

One last important question about safety – is driving ‘around town’ in a Jeep with a 2.5” lift and 33” tires materially more difficult / less safe than stock? I ask because, if the answer is yes, I may skip the lift altogether to keep the Jeep safer for my girls.

Thanks in advance for the help. The site has been a great resource and I’m looking forward to getting this thing dirty soon.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I know there are many threads on lifts, wheels, and tires – I think I’ve read them all. I’m still a little confused on where to go for what I am trying to do. New here, so go easy on me...

Some background --
I bought a Jeep for four main reasons, in order of priority –

(1) We can get a lot of snow here and I have a very long driveway and a plow guy who’s often slow to get to us. I got stuck 3 times last year in my AWD sedan.
(2) I want a convertible and a 4WD vehicle. I don’t want either to be my DD. I only want 2 cars for myself.
(3) I’d like to do some (comparatively) light off-roading and check out a Jeep event near me to see if it’s something my wife, kids and I enjoy together.
(4) I’ve got a couple of girls who will be driving in 3-4 years and like Wranglers. I’ve listened to them beg me to get a Jeep since they were little…

So – I ordered a Rubicon Unlimited HR (w/4.1 gearing) a month or so ago. It’s been built and I’m patiently waiting for the train. Here’s what I could use some help with:

Based on reading comments, I’m going to get a set of winter wheels and tires. That’s decided. Going to get some Pintler wheels for summer. What would be a great set of 33” winter tires to put on the stock Rubi wheels? And, if I use the stock tires in summer on the new wheels, they're 32", correct?
Use your stock Hard Rock wheels and tires for your winter tires.

MOPAR 2.5” lift by dealer with warranty, or something else? And, if something else, what and why? I’d like a reliable and quality product done textbook – what should I pay and ask for?Why Mopar lift? They use cam bolts what require drilling out factory holes then rewelding if wanted to remove them. Look at lifts like AEV, Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak, Rubicon Express or a Frankenlift (WF favorite lift)

I’m going to change out the front bumper and add a winch. I like the Barricade TrailForce HD bumper. What’s the ‘buy-it-once’ Winch that will last the 10 years I plan to own the Jeep and work the 3 times I ever use it, lol?
No need to change the front bumper with the Hard Rock, WARN make a few ZEON winches that fit inside the bumper and are a perfect fit.

One last important question about safety – is driving ‘around town’ in a Jeep with a 2.5” lift and 33” tires materially more difficult / less safe than stock? I ask because, if the answer is yes, I may skip the lift altogether to keep the Jeep safer for my girls.
Lifted Jeeps with larger tires drive "different" from stock Jeeps, you need to get used to the taller vehicle and larger tires. Many people say the better lifts drive and handle better then stock. The first 500 or so miles with a new lift it needs to break-in a little, also be sure to lower tire pressure.

Thanks in advance for the help. The site has been a great resource and I’m looking forward to getting this thing dirty soon.
Hope this helped :beerdrinking:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts