Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!
i have recently bought a 98 TJ, very stock but has a 2" lift.

I want to now if i can run 33" mud terrains on a 2" lift? or what else i need to add to fit them??? i know i will need a body lift but what size suits/looks best??
also do i need to change the gearing? the diff ratios? i will be going off road, is it neccessary for a slip yoke? so many things i have been told but i just need to know the most simply and accurate!?
would love for your help guys

From Sydney :)

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
You can run 33's

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You can "fit" them but what are you doing with your jeep? On road it will be fine but if you are off roading, and looking for articulation and disconnecting, you will not be able without adding long bumpstops and or a body lift. In general a 2 -2 1/2 spring lift will need a 1 1/2 body lift.

Do a search on 33's. There are a lot of posts on what is need to set up you jeep for off road capability.

As far as the drivetrain, it is going to depend on what you have now to determing if it is tollerable or going to be poor.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Do your homework. First need to know what engine, trans, diff and gears you currently are running. You need to make sure that your drivetrain will handle the stresses of the oversize tires. You would be looking at a good amount of money just moding the drivetrain to run 33's if they are currently not suited to run them. Then when you feel you have a suitable drivetrain then move on to the lift. Here again do your research. There is more than one way to do your lift. There are a lot of good threads out there on lifts and what makes a good lift. There are a lot more things that come into play than just adding lift springs and longer shocks. There are some people out there running 35+ inch tires on very little lift and a great working suspension. How because they understand how the suspension works and all the components that come into play.

My advice would be to slow down. Make sure you are set up to run 33's drivetrain wise. Then look into the 33's lift wise.

Also make sure you give all of your Jeep's information. Makes it a lot easier for people to help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thankful for the feedback!

Thanks for all the feed back!

James.crawford14 mine is a 6cyclinder.
i have been doing my research for months now still trying to grasp the whole concept of everything... and realising there is alot more then to just lifting it and throwing on some bigger tyres. and A LOT more expensive !!

if you know of any good threads on people running 33's with a minimal lift would really appreciate the links :D

Thanks again! really helpful :Thanx:

·
Registered
805 Posts
It all depends on the route you want to go...

I am running 33s with no lift and it still surprises me on the trails here in CO.

Thanks for all the feed back!

James.crawford14 mine is a 6cyclinder.
i have been doing my research for months now still trying to grasp the whole concept of everything... and realising there is alot more then to just lifting it and throwing on some bigger tyres. and A LOT more expensive !!

if you know of any good threads on people running 33's with a minimal lift would really appreciate the links :D

Thanks again! really helpful :Thanx:

·
Registered
440 Posts
It all depends on the route you want to go...

I am running 33s with no lift and it still surprises me on the trails here in CO.
This is exaclty it! There are numerous ways to go about running larger tires.Obviously you can put a big lift on your Jeep. People will say you need 4" of lift to run 33's. as Neal5280 just mentioned it is not true. There are alot of ways to do it. SL, BL, bumpstopping, changing fenders, changing component mounting points etc. All of these things can play into a good functioning suspension with the ability of running larger tires. Once you understand that then you can decide which route you would like to go. Read some of Imped's threads too. Awesome Jeep running 37's on 3" lift springs. So its not impossible. Obviously your looking into it and taking in what people say. so continue to do that and continue to research.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
This is exaclty it! There are numerous ways to go about running larger tires.Obviously you can put a big lift on your Jeep. People will say you need 4" of lift to run 33's. as Neal5280 just mentioned it is not true. There are alot of ways to do it. SL, BL, bumpstopping, changing fenders, changing component mounting points etc. All of these things can play into a good functioning suspension with the ability of running larger tires. Once you understand that then you can decide which route you would like to go. Read some of Imped's threads too. Awesome Jeep running 37's on 3" lift springs. So its not impossible. Obviously your looking into it and taking in what people say. so continue to do that and continue to research.
Very correct. It all comes out to what capability you want or really need. The information Imped and Unlimited post is correct but it is for full capibility off road which realistically a lot of people will not need. (sometimes I wish they would quantify that)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very correct. It all comes out to what capability you want or really need. The information Imped and Unlimited post is correct but it is for full capibility off road which realistically a lot of people will not need. (sometimes I wish they would quantify that)
Agree with you on this 100%. Their setup def isnt for everybody, but you can take a lot of good information and ideas from them. As far as the function of a suspension system goes they are dead on. They understand this very well and it is good for people who dont understand suspension systems as well to read their threads to help them better understand its functons and components. even if you dont want to go to the extemes that they do you can still learn a lot, then decide what setup is the best for your needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts