Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Where did you buy the starter? Still have the old starter? It sounds like the bushings/bearings are having a problem. Not seated correctly, improper size?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought starter from summit. Took starter out doesent make noise. Based off the contact pattern I think it may be binding up if you look in the pic I think your right the bearing holder on the top is broken.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
tooth counts changed over the years you are probbaly using a incompatible starter/flywheel

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Did that starter ever worked in this setup? Starter and flywheel pitch have to match.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received the Jeep in pieces. Flywheel is correct for the engine and year. Starter is the same. Did a compression test. 125 for each cylinder. Battery is about dead now so I am charging it and will try again tonight. The more I turn the engine over the faster it is spinning. I may just hook everything up and try to start it up and let it run for a bit. See if things clear up.

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
As other posters above have stated, the tooth count on the starter bendix has to be compatible with the tooth count on the flywheel.

I think the break for flywheel/starter tooth count was 1987. On my '87, I had quite a time trying to find the correct starter/bendix to fit. A 1988 starter/bendix has a different tooth count than an '87.
Other posters should be able to tell you what tooth count bendix drive you'll need for your particular flywheel.
If you don't know the tooth count on your flywheel, the only way I know of to get it (without removing the bell housing) is to remove the spark plugs, put a dab of paint on one flywheel tooth. Then turn the engine over with a long screwdriver and count the teeth as you do. It's a pain to do so, but you need the flywheel tooth count so you can match it to the correct bendix drive.
If another poster doesn't chime in with the info you need, you can try Google.

Will Summit take the starter back?

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts