Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
fuel pump

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
If it were mine, I'd put it back the way it was built. There was nothing wrong with the mechanical pumps.
I have never understood the mindset that had to change proven engineering just to change something. The aftermarket electric pumps are no more reliable than the original mechanical units.
How much fuel plumbing was changed to put the electric in and how well was it done?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, to stop the leak, do I need to buy a new mechanical pump even though I'm not using one or is there a way to block the hole the pump goes in to?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
If I didn't want to return the Jeep to the way it was built, I would take the old fuel pump off and take the gasket ( as an example of the shape) to a hot rod shop. Perhaps a Chevrolet fuel pump block off plate will fit. You might be able to get a nice shiny chrome one.
If you have the machinery available to you, you can use the gasket as a pattern to make your own fuel pump block off plate.
Perhaps just a new gasket will cure the oil leak.

Has the Jeep been converted to fuel injection? If so, I believe you'll need to keep the electric fuel pump.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,944 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,944 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Found one, Sent email for correct part number, gonna order one when I get the right number, I'll update when it shows up and "hopefully fits correctly" here's the site. no phone number, email only

Jeep Egr Delete Plate Powder Coated Bolts Door Hinges Wheels Trim

Update to come...
I clicked on the link. For $17.50, I can't make an EGR block off plate for less.

Perhaps this will help the OP. A fuel pump block off plate is also $17.50 at this site (comes with gasket and free shipping).
The buyers guide at this website states that their fuel pump block off plate will work on 4.2 Jeep motors and small block Chevys. I'll bet that OP can find a SBC fuel pump block off plate at most auto parts stores.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
I saw the one for MR Gasket, which I'm sure will most likely work, but I think their aftermarket line is more for looks, I asked for route 66 mods to send part numbers for their fuel pump block off plates for all three engines also. will post when they get back to me

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I went and looked at my fuel pump a little more to determine where exactly it is leaking and it is not leaking where it meets the block.

The actual pump seems to be leaking oil. Is this normal or is something else leaking?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Oil leaks aren't normal.

I suggest that you either buy a new mechanical fuel pump and block off the inlet and outlet, or buy a fuel pump block off plate.
By buying a new fuel pump you keep your options open for close to the same money.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
It ruptured the diaphragm. Probably what prompted the electric pump install, instead of replacing the mechanical.
Interesting to know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts