Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a factory premium soft top for my 2016 black bear.

Can someone please help some questions I have?

1. What's the difference between regular sunrider and premium one?

2. Does all JK years fit all? Example, does all 2016 have the same size? Does a 2014 soft top fit 2016? I heard 2012/2013 had changes?

3. What parts do I need to pay attention to? Soft top + frame + bolts? anything else? and how many bolts?

Not sure where I can find the information.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
For question 1 - when you say the difference is "only" the fabric, let me tell you that it's a BIG difference and worth every cent more.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
For question 1 - when you say the difference is "only" the fabric, let me tell you that it's a BIG difference and worth every cent more.
Totally agree. I have had the 2012 premium top and it does not compare to the new 201 3 and up premium soft top which I now have. After looking at the instructions, all the parts seem to be included. If you buy private party, make sure you get the brackets that mount to the roll bar. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am about to purchase a factory premium soft top for my 2016 black bear.

Can someone please help some questions I have?

1. What's the difference between regular sunrider and premium one?

2. Does all JK years fit all? Example, does all 2016 have the same size? Does a 2014 soft top fit 2016? I heard 2012/2013 had changes?

3. What parts do I need to pay attention to? Soft top + frame + bolts? anything else? and how many bolts?

Not sure where I can find the information.

Thank you.

2: On my 2013, there is a spring added to the softtop that helps you raise it up from the down position to the first folded position (with the front portion still folded back). This spring may have been added in 2012, but I know it's there in 13.

To my understanding all the years will fit as long as you have all the parts for the given year top. By this I mean that my 13 top won't work if I use the 2008 rails because the interface to the top is different.

3. In addition to the soft top, side windows, and rear window you'll need....
- Front tracks, attach to the roll bar over front door. (LH and RH)
- Rear tracks, attach to the roll bar and goes down behind rear door (LH and RH)
- Long threaded knobs (x4)
- Short threaded knobs (x2)
** I could have the quantities backwards.
- Rear brackets that secure the back corners of the soft top (x2)
- Rear window bar
- Softtop attachment brackets that secures the soft top to the down tubes on your roll bar. (x2)
** I leave these installed all the time so I only have to secure the soft top to them.
Also, above is based on a 4-door.

Lots of videos will walk you through the installation of the soft top and from that I think you'll understand all the parts listed above.

M.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2: On my 2013, there is a spring added to the softtop that helps you raise it up from the down position to the first folded position (with the front portion still folded back). This spring may have been added in 2012, but I know it's there in 13. To my understanding all the years will fit as long as you have all the parts for the given year top. By this I mean that my 13 top won't work if I use the 2008 rails because the interface to the top is different. 3. In addition to the soft top, side windows, and rear window you'll need.... - Front tracks, attach to the roll bar over front door. (LH and RH) - Rear tracks, attach to the roll bar and goes down behind rear door (LH and RH) - Long threaded knobs (x4) - Short threaded knobs (x2) ** I could have the quantities backwards. - Rear brackets that secure the back corners of the soft top (x2) - Rear window bar - Softtop attachment brackets that secures the soft top to the down tubes on your roll bar. (x2) ** I leave these installed all the time so I only have to secure the soft top to them. Also, above is based on a 4-door. Lots of videos will walk you through the installation of the soft top and from that I think you'll understand all the parts listed above. M.
Thank you very much. This is very helpful

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the premium on 2014 JKU..It's 3 layers instead one layer which is the standard soft top. Much quieter a ride and just feels richer..I paid $900 cdn for my top from a fellow selling it new in box. Yes make sure you get all the parts including the brackets to the roll bar which initially the fellow didn't provide me but sent them later. Also make sure you waterproof it. I used I think it was 303 protectant for convertibles

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent the jeep installation instruction with parts list to the seller. He said everything is there but all the bolts/screws.

I think that's 14 screws total.

Should I still get it or pass?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
so $800 on 2014 premium a good deal? The person said it is like new
If everything is included.

Thanks
Eh... I've seen new in box go for about that same price. However, if the windows are in awesome shape, that's a good sign they only used it once or twice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
so $800 on 2014 premium a good deal? The person said it is like new If everything is included. Thanks
I'd say it's a fair deal. Not good or bad. I've got about $615 into our 2013 premium JKU top. We bought ours over the winter when prices are lower. I actually joked with my wife the other day that I was going to start buying soft tops in the fall and flipping them in the spring when the prices go up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts