Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..i have a 95 yj with 2.5 and 5 speed...trying to figure out how to remove the shifter. I took off the boot and dust cover. I found a round rubber piece over the opening right where the shifter goes into the transmission housing. Do not see how to disconnect the shifter. Can someone give me some info? Thanks in advance for any help i may get.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Press down on the retaining collar where the shifter enters the transmission. You then have to rotate it counter clockwise I believe. It's has two lobes inside that the notches on the collar lock into with the help of a spring. Using a rag helped me turn the collar considerably.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt notice a locking collar. The rubber collar fits over the lip on the housing...but that part was a solid piece or at least it looked like it was part of the the transmission housing itself. The shifter shaft went into the opening it didnt appear to be connected to anything at the opening.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Here is what it loooks like you have to push down and turn to get it past the pins that hold it in place. If this is not what you are seeing post a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pic. New to this working on the jeep. Hate to sound ignorant but i am guessing that the end with the round part is what goes into the transmission? And the square end is attached to the shifter? Is that round black piece rubber? If so that is the only thing i saw...or at least recognized. Dont have a pic yet. Will tomorrow. So please look for more tomorrow on it lol.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The top part can be black in color some may have rubber on it. I found it easiest to put a rag on the base push down and turn. I usuaally get it on the second or third try. kinda PIA if you know what I mean. But it comes off OK. Once removed you are looking into the trans from the top.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok..i will be looking at it again tomorrow. I do appreciate the info. Will let you know what i find and or post pics.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all..thanks for the info on the shifter and the pic. I was able to figure it out today. Got it removed and installed when i was done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts