Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put out a thread about shocks... didn't get much help and time is ticking. So... I want to know out of the 3 choices, and only three choices what would be the right one.

Installing Teraflex 2.5 Budget Boost this Sunday..

Rancho RS9000XL

OR

Fox 2.0 Evolution

OR

Fox 2.0 Performance Series

I value everyones opinion as I haven't been wheeling for that long... thank you for your response.

·
Vendor
2,910 Posts
Ours will be a "softer" on road and off-road mannerism.
Theirs are a high gas charge while ours is a low gas charge.
A monotube is a great shock, but some don't like the ride.
We offer a monotube style shocks as well.

Promotions

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I am between 2.0 Performance IFP and King 2.0 OEM. I don't like adjustable and I like the stiffest ride possible. I live on washboard roads and need to go fast to get to where I need! I want my shocks to be smarter than me for adjustment. My normal drive is washboard, winding roads and 75 MPH highway one way...

So from what you listed, Fox 2.0 Performance IFP

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I've got the Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks on my Jeep, and they're the best shocks I've ever used. But, ... I'm pretty sure Fox changed the valving on them since I bought mine, and the new valving sucks. Here's why I say that: I have a 2014 two door JK with a 3" Teraflex lift and 37s. My friend has a 2014 two door JK with a 3" Teraflex lift and 37s. I put my lift and shocks on in April, 2014. He put his on in February 2015. My Jeep rides great, with a very controlled, but smooth ride. His Jeep rode terrible, with a ton of side to side pitching, and just way too soft of a ride. The shocks feel like they have no damping at all. Fox just came out with compression adjustable shocks, and I think they want you to buy the compression adjustable version. I'll bet the non-adjustable shocks are now the same as the compression adjustable version, with the compression set at full soft, and no adjuster to firm them up if you want.

I used to recommend the Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks with Teraflex spec valving. Because of my friends Jeep, and another person that reported the same thing, I don't recommend them anymore.

My friend replaced his Fox shocks with Spicer compression adjustable shocks (made by Walker Evans), and he thinks they're great.

So of your three choices, ... get the Rancho shocks.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
MOPWR2U, are yours the Teraflex spec? If so, they are valved differently than standard Fox production shocks... There is also the new BDS custom valved Fox 2.0 IFP's that I think would be worth trying.

The Rancho's can be made pretty firm and Overland Journal determined that the 9000's were the best of what they tested and that included Fox and Bilstein.

Here is some text copied from that report:

Overland Journal did a shock comparison, their test platform was a JK, so it is particularly useful for our Wranglers.

RESULTS:

Top dog is: Rancho RS9000XL. "In nearly every category, from yaw response and damping, to body roll, traceability, and feedback, it received maximum points ... Cornering was flat like a sports car, not a normal characteristic for a lifted JK ... In G-outs and hard cornering, the vehicle simply hunkered down and moved on. There was almost none of the normal steering wheel feedback you get from a live axle (chatter) and limited body roll. ... In short I can say that Joe, Ned and I were impressed, and shall I say, surprised. ... On our desert loop, the vehicle's predictability instilled confidence and we found ourselves traveling at higher speeds without feeling like we were going to damage the vehicle"

BTW: They ran it at a setting of 5, then compared other settings to confirm that they felt 5 was the right choice.

Runner up and value choice was the OME Nitro Charger Sport.

Also rans, which all did reasonably well, included Bilstein 5100, Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP, and ICON 2.0 V.S. Aluminum Series. King and Fabtech were invited to participate, but declined.

Rancho RS9000XL was the overwhelming preferred choice.

Overland Journal and Rancho 9000's

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My shocks have the Teraflex valving, which is awesome. My friends shocks were supposed to also have the Teraflex valving, but the valving was obviously very different, and not anywhere near as good. So either they changed the valving in the last year, or my friend got some off the shelf Fox shocks instead of the Teraflex valved Fox shocks.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MOPWR2U, are yours the Teraflex spec? If so, they are valved differently than standard Fox production shocks... There is also the new BDS custom valved Fox 2.0 IFP's that I think would be worth trying.

The Rancho's can be made pretty firm and Overland Journal determined that the 9000's were the best of what they tested and that included Fox and Bilstein.

Here is some text copied from that report:

Overland Journal did a shock comparison, their test platform was a JK, so it is particularly useful for our Wranglers.

RESULTS:

Top dog is: Rancho RS9000XL. "In nearly every category, from yaw response and damping, to body roll, traceability, and feedback, it received maximum points ... Cornering was flat like a sports car, not a normal characteristic for a lifted JK ... In G-outs and hard cornering, the vehicle simply hunkered down and moved on. There was almost none of the normal steering wheel feedback you get from a live axle (chatter) and limited body roll. ... In short I can say that Joe, Ned and I were impressed, and shall I say, surprised. ... On our desert loop, the vehicle's predictability instilled confidence and we found ourselves traveling at higher speeds without feeling like we were going to damage the vehicle"

BTW: They ran it at a setting of 5, then compared other settings to confirm that they felt 5 was the right choice.

Runner up and value choice was the OME Nitro Charger Sport.

Also rans, which all did reasonably well, included Bilstein 5100, Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP, and ICON 2.0 V.S. Aluminum Series. King and Fabtech were invited to participate, but declined.

Rancho RS9000XL was the overwhelming preferred choice.

Overland Journal and Rancho 9000's
Thanks for showing me this... I just pulled the trigger and ordered a full set. I should have them by Friday... doing my lift/Shocks install on Sunday. Can't wait to see the difference from stock to 2.5 lift... Then will start working on rim and tires. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I went with the RanchoXL shocks with my lift, as well as JKS adjustable control arm and track bars, and I love the way it rides and sits, now on to wheels and tires.... Decisions; Decisions....

P.S. Ignore the messy garage.... at least my Jeep still fits inside..:iamhappy:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ours will be a "softer" on road and off-road mannerism. Theirs are a high gas charge while ours is a low gas charge. A monotube is a great shock, but some don't like the ride. We offer a monotube style shocks as well. Promotions Good luck!
2009 JKU, 130,000 miles, 90% DD, weekends mud and dirt roads hills, nothing serious.
No mods other than 285/17/70 tires.
Ride seems to have become pretty teeth chattering over any type of bump of any size on my hwy commute...time for new shocks? 4? Rancho 9000 best choice for my situation?

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I'm not savvy enough to do links from my phone, but I just mailed in my rebate stuff(hint hint Rancho! Lol) and the rebate is called Magic "6". If you buy four(4) rs9000xl shocks you will receive a prepaid card for $106. I found a set of four shocks for sale online for $339 with free shipping. So after rebate you're down to $233 plus the cost of a stamp and envelope! That's less than $60 per corner!!!

Joe

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You can not beat the Rancho 9000s with a stick. They are the most recommended shock here for a reason.They work well and they give you adjust ability to make your Jeep ride the way you want it to.

·
Vendor
2,910 Posts
Promotions

Is there a link to any specials you're running right now?
:)

I'm not savvy enough to do links from my phone, but I just mailed in my rebate stuff(hint hint Rancho! Lol) and the rebate is called Magic "6". If you buy four(4) rs9000xl shocks you will receive a prepaid card for $106. I found a set of four shocks for sale online for $339 with free shipping. So after rebate you're down to $233 plus the cost of a stamp and envelope! That's less than $60 per corner!!!

Joe
Thanks!!

You can not beat the Rancho 9000s with a stick. They are the most recommended shock here for a reason.They work well and they give you adjust ability to make your Jeep ride the way you want it to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts