Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys long story short, I purchased a 2012 jeep Wrangler (56,000 miles) with a ill running 3.6. Throwing three codes P0300, P0016, and P0017, sounds out of time while running, and starts ticking as it warms up (sounds normal and fine when cold, but sounds like a diesel after its warm). Supposedly cam, crank, o2, coil packs, and plugs were all changed out before I got it, but looking at the plugs I have my doubts. Also it smoked really bad, but only sometimes.. Other times nothing at all.

My thoughts before today were that I have one maybe two bad heads worst case, and best case bad roller rockers, or a timing chain that slipped a gear. HOWEVER today I Ran a compression check.. Its confusing, and I hope yall can help me figure it out. Passenger side front to back 145,140,145.. OK fine, but the Drivers side was (also front to back) 125, 105 (double checked), 135.. So I did a wet test on the drivers side and I got 155, 120, 170 !!!!

That is why i'm confused now, usually during a wet test I would think very little change if it was my valves (which I assumed it was).. Seeing those numbers and now Im wondering if I have a bigger issue.

Also I cant find the proper specs for this motor, as all I can find is "over 100" is good... That sure does not sound good to me.

Anyway I really dont want to replace the motor, and really hope you guys can point me in the right direction as I feel lost now.. THANK you in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
How did the spark plugs on the drivers side look compared to the passenger side? Wet with oil? Do you see a lot of blow by if you remove the oil fill cap at idle? You may get some oil, but is there a lot of air or smoke? Sure sounds like a rings/piston/cylinder problem. Hope it's something easy. Please tell us what you find.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
sounds like its fried. need a new 3.6 motor......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I think the motor is done, it also failed a simple leak down (no gauge, but hooked up air to the cylender and I could A) Smell oil and B) feel a light breeze by the timing chains. So Im guessing my rings are bad.

Im currently debating getting a motor from Jasper or PowerTrain Products. Anyone have any experience?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts