Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some new speakers and I had my mind set on the Polk DB521. I was gonna do 5.25" all the way around the jeep. I have a Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Head unit already so theres some extra power for the speakers. Any speakers that I should get instead of these? I would prefer marine grade just incase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a big fan of clarion and went with the cz302 head unit. I put a xc1410 amp that fits perfectly behind the head unit out of the weather. The 5.25 speakers in the dash with the factory sound bar speakers with this amp is loud and then some. Then the xr2120 to push two kicker 10's and I have more than enough for everybody th hear me at the stop light. Got it all from sonic electronics.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Depends on what your definition of good is.

You aren't going to get really good bass without an amp in my opinion. You can get loud bass, but not necessarily good.

Also, Higher watt rms generally means louder, while bigger speakers will be able to produce lower bass notes. You have to find a compromise between the two for your budget.

For good bass you need a sub, and for good subs you need an amp. Kenwood makes a contained sub and amp unit for around 150 that fits under the rear seat quite nicely that many people are happy with. It won't rattle any windows but will deffinitely fill out the lower end. Ksc-kw11 I think is the name?

With just a head unit those Polk db series are going to be about as good as it will get. Especially for the money.

Oh, and on your marine grade request. Don't limit yourself to only Marine grade speakers. While Polk is a great speaker marine grade really doesn't mean as much as it used to. Speaker cones used to be made of paper which water would ruin. Most speakers now are some sort of rubber that water won't hurt.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I ended up doing the DB521 with the Nalin Mfg. Brackets in front and the DB651s in the sound pods. Don't fit flush but darn close. Easy install, and don't forget to by the wiring adapters you can get from crutchfield. Makes it nice an easy. Even with this setup bass is lacking. IMO a sub is a must have, look at the Sound Ordnance powered subs also on Crutchfield, but I bought mine used on eBay. You'll be glad you added it!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I too have the polk db521 all around. Nalin adapters in the front with foam baffles behind the front speakers. Poly stuffing in the rear pod enclosures. However, i did add an amp under the dash. These speakers wont get you enough bass, neither will the stock sub if you have one, even the kicker upgrade.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I've had my fair share of experience with subs. My last setup was a 13.5" JL audio W7 with a 1000 watt JL slash amp with a lot of extra add ons. ended up selling everything because the amp blew a mosfet and I didn't want to put anymore money into it, since I've already spend over $2400 on everything on that last system and it made everything rattle and come loose in my CRV even with dynomat everywhere. wanted to steer clear of subs and amps just for that reason. Sold everything but the sub and box if anyone wants to buy that. does anyone have a picture with the 6.5" polks in the sound pod? I might eventually buy that kenwood sub for under the seat as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
First off move your pods off the roll bar, very easy to do and makes it so much easier to work on when set on the floor. Speakers come with metal clips you will need this. When I fit the 651 speakers in the recessed portion I was able to use some of the existing holes but had to drill I think 3 more to line up with the speakers. Used a very small drill bit. If you do a search on Polk 6-1/2 speakers you will find others who have done the same with same results and I found. Use this and that "other" Jeep forum as a reference.

As for the sub check out this one. This is what I have and the price is right. Even with the new speakers you will find a lack of bottom end, and while this sub isn't a window rattler it has a good thump and fills out that bottom end very nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301385827598

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I might just do the 5.25" all the way around. But on Crutchfield I can't figure out how to get those speaker wire adapters for the wrangler. I think I would go with that kenwood as well but I also can't find that on crutchfield.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I might just do the 5.25" all the way around. But on Crutchfield I can't figure out how to get those speaker wire adapters for the wrangler. I think I would go with that kenwood as well but I also can't find that on crutchfield.
Think these were the ones for the front? Not sure but Crutchfield support is very good at telling you which.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12071050/Metra-71-050-Speaker-Wiring-Adapters.html

You can also go to Metra's web site as well to get the right part #

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.