Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my steering gear box to the AGR Super box 2 and its about 2X the size of the OE box. I'm being told the steering shaft is collapsible so that the box will fit but cannot figure how it does. Can someone help clear this up for weather it is ir isn't

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Not sure if this helps....but I just replaced my lower steering shaft on a 2000 sport. It seemed the upper shaft can be pushed back toward the firewall to give some clearance. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lower shaft is replaceable yes, but the main shaft is supposed to collapse somewhere. The upper portion slides in yes but I still don't have enough room. Thanks tho

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
The lower shaft is replaceable yes, but the main shaft is supposed to collapse somewhere. The upper portion slides in yes but I still don't have enough room. Thanks tho

Pull the intermediate shaft (section from carrier bearing to the steering gear) by removing the pinch bolt and the 3 8mm nuts on the studs. Make sure steering wheel is tied to brake pedal.

Where the smaller shaft slides into the larger shaft on the two flat sides are two 1/4" holes that are filled with white plastic. Drill those out with a 1/4" drill bit and stop when the bit stops drilling plastic.

Clamp the large end in a vise and with a non damaging hammer, smack the shafts together and then back out a few times so that you can slide them with a fair bit of force, but not so loose that they rattle.

I typically spray some WD-40 or similar to get the process started. Reinstall and adjust to bolt up to the new input shaft on your new gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts