Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Wrangler sport 4.0
33 x 1250 by 15 tires

So I bought this Wrangler 5 years ago with a bad motor drove it for 3 years sounding like a diesel LOL finally rebuild the motor myself and she purrs like a kitten.
At 55 to 60 she starts to wander a little bit on the highway no shaking. I have some play in the steering I know and I will do a dry steer test. I would like some help identifying what is actually on this Jeep now I am not a suspension guru.
It appears to be a skyjacker lift kit. The front control arms look adjustable the rear do not. I took pictures of the tags on the differentials although the front one is extremely hard to read. I am assuming Dana 35 at rear Dana 30 at front from what I have been reading. I also assume that my gearring is 3.06 at 60 miles an hour it runs right at 2000 RPM maybe 2100. I do not know if that is a drop pitman arm or not. Like I said I am not a suspension guru and would like some opinions as to what I have now and as to what I should have. Do you guys see any problems. And by looking at it can you tell me about what size lift I have. Thank you in advance for your replies. Pictures attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
D35, D30. 3.07 gears according to the tag. Transfercase drop, dropped pitman arm (go back to OEM). It does indeed look like skyjacker. Measure the springs. 12" up front and 8" rear were stock measurements. If you have more, that is the amount of spring lift you have.

Reactions: Ironhead Jed

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What problems does the drop pitman arm cause. Also I'm not too happy with that Skyjacker steering stabilizer and the way that is set up any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
6,594 Posts
What problems does the drop pitman arm cause. Also I'm not too happy with that Skyjacker steering stabilizer and the way that is set up any recommendations?
DPA causes bump steer and many other issues, OEM is the way to go.

for better steering on the cheap get an OEM TJ draglink, an OEM ZJ tie rod, and a monroe steering stabilizer. if money is not an issue, get a currie correctlync steering system and a monroe steering stabilizer

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And if dropped Pitman arms causes bump steer why do people put them in? Is it really just to be used on higher lifts than I have?

·
Registered
591 Posts
ZJ? Did you mean to say TJ? Serious question I'm not trying to be funny
No, he meant ZJ on purpose. It's same dimension but beefier than the TJ. I put one on after bending the stock TJ. It's a common upgrade on TJ's.:thumb:

Reactions: XBD

·
Registered
591 Posts
And if dropped Pitman arms causes bump steer why do people put them in? Is it really just to be used on higher lifts than I have?
I think because it was common on YJ's and CJ's. Some the Jeep books (Jim Allen?) carried the drop pitman "upgrade" suggestion forward to the TJ platform.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Because you have control arms and a track bar and coil spring the axle travels up and down differently than with leaf springs
To prevent bum steer a line drawn thru ends of drag link needs to be parallel to a line drawn thru ends of track bar and thus unless you drop both ends of drag link you don’t want to drop either so if frame ends is stock don’t use a dropped pitman arm

Wandering at highway speed is likely inadequate caster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't necessarily trust the tag on the diff for the gear ratio. Especially if you replace gearing in just front or rear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't necessarily trust the tag on the diff for the gear ratio. Especially if you replace gearing in just front or rear.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Any competent installer would have removed the tags and any competent owner would gear both axles. But I suppose strange things do happen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any competent installer would have removed the tags and any competent owner would gear both axles. But I suppose strange things do happen.

Agreed, but the OP bought used, so may not know if axles were re-geared or re-geared by a competent installer. Also, replacing gears is not only done to change the gear ratio. Sometimes wear and tear cause the need to replace gears in just front or rear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So a local 4 x 4 shop told me I have an old rough country steering system that should be replaced with a curry and he also said I do not have a drop pitman arm and I thought I did... Opinions please

1 - 20 of 25 Posts