Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is probably a simple thing, but I'm confused about a warning on the box for this replacement pulley that says be careful of using the old dust cap.

Also, what do I do with this additional little part?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Hubcap Automotive lighting

And this piece, I assume the side that looks like a bearing that came off the old pulley, do I reuse it? Do I put it with this side shown facing the pulley?

Tire Hand Automotive tire Wheel Household hardware

This is a very newbie moment.

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just added to my signature, but this is a 1999 TJ 4.0.

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured it out. Looks like there are two, what I assume are, dust covers. The little washer replaces them. I installed and everything seems to be working normally. Fingers crossed, I have a 100 mile drive this evening.

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New issue: I replaced the tensioner pulley, but it doesn't seem to be turning correctly. It grinds against whatever that plate is. What's going on with this?

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Gates 38042.

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried putting the original tensioner on. Grinding. I don't know what's going on, but I'm supposed to drive 100 miles tonight and am trying to do this as quickly as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
Okay, this is probably a simple thing, but I'm confused about a warning on the box for this replacement pulley that says be careful of using the old dust cap.

Also, what do I do with this additional little part?

View attachment 4525011

And this piece, I assume the side that looks like a bearing that came off the old pulley, do I reuse it? Do I put it with this side shown facing the pulley?

View attachment 4525014

This is a very newbie moment.
The part you're wondering about is spacer used to center the bearing, not a dust cover.

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to my information, 38042 is correct for the idler pulley. Gates 38043 is the proper part for the tensioner pulley.
Ohhhhh, that makes sense. Okay, I'll be working on that this weekend. Thank you!

Registered
1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0.
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The part you're wondering about is spacer used to center the bearing, not a dust cover.
Now that makes a lot of sense. I was able to get the idler pulley changed out, but the tensioner fought me the whole way, so I reused the old one. I'll see about making it work this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts