Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a used 4x4 Jeep to be used as a DD and some off-roading(no rock climbing). Question regarding upgrading the stock tires and rims. How can I tell if the Jeep will handle 33's? Will I need any type of lift kit? Will be also used for towing of my 5x10 landscape trailer, when I need to go to the local landfill for yard waste disposal. I'm looking at this 2007 Jeep, but need more info before I make an offer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Lots of variables here......not "bashing" any one's Jeep, but there are a few things to bear in mind. When Jeep went from the "TJ" old body style to the "JK" it helped but the motor and transmission wasn't as robust as what was in the "old TJ". (TJs were built from '98 to '06) (JK's are from '07 to present) However, Jeep made a very strong attempt to "fix" these problems. In '12 they went to a New Pentastar motor. It has 285 HP. The "earlier" JKs had about 215HP, and the TJs had about 170HP.
The advantage of the TJ is that the motor and tranny are tried and true. The I6 4.0 liter has been around/ used since the mid '50s. It is strong motor and known to go well past 200K miles. The disadvantage are also its age. MPG not as good and power is "down" compared to most vehicles. A TJ will get you there but it will take its time doing it.....lets face it Jeeps are not race cars.
A TJ would easily be able to pull a lightly loaded landscape trailer. On a daily basis I wouldn't want to be much over 1500lbs. However it would also need about 3-4 inches of lift to fit 33's.
A JK is rated to tow more than a TJ and would "fit" 33"s almost stock. a leveling kit or spacers/ different wheels would probably fix any issues. The disadvantage IMO I wouldn't get a JK unless it is a '12 or newer...and for what they ask for a '12 you may as well go new....which would almost push me back to the TJ...if I didn't want to spend the coin for new.

I realize this probably just made it "harder" to choose, but the thing about Jeeps...you have to choose what is right for you. For light off roading and towing like you are speaking off, I wouldn't hesitate to go newer and try and write as much as I could off as a business expense...including the winch for pulling shrubs. :) GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting......ideally I'd like a 2006 LJ 2dr, but they are so hard to find. Just looking at all my options. The trailer is a personal trailer as we live in a rural area, so there is no business write off.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Very interesting......ideally I'd like a 2006 LJ 2dr, but they are so hard to find. Just looking at all my options. The trailer is a personal trailer as we live in a rural area, so there is no business write off.
IMO, and understand that is all this is.....while the LJ sounds really good, the number of people who WANT or think they WANT and LJ has really driven the price up. And if you factor in (or maybe out) the number of Rubi LJs because of the cost again, and the Special edition tomb raiders...all of a sudden they start to get pretty rare. And ya almost have to question dumping that kind of money into a Jeep you will PROBABLY lift to fit your 33"s..........Ah the personal trailer thing if not loaded heavy could still be easily doable with a TJ.....unfortunately they are getting to be fewer and fewer. Even a TJ that is 10-12 years old in good shape with 150K miles is going to be close to $8-10K than when ya start thinking what can I get for say $5K more,,,yeah Jeeps just hold their value too well!!

All I can really say is GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts