Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just joined this forum as i am looking to buy a jeep wrangler. There is one for sale near where i live that looks pretty decent. However, i think they are asking to much.

Here is a link: 1987 Jeep Wrangler For Sale In Bardstown KY - Montgomery Auto Mart

As can be seen they are asking almost 6500 for it. It recently had some front end work done on it, as well as some engine work and a few other things. There is no visible rust on the frame or underside of the jeep, but there are a few spots around the outside. It drives and sounds good.

My question is what should be the actual price of this jeep? And if i were to trade my 1990 mustang gt with the 302 bored to a 306 engine how much i should expect to have to pay, if any.

I appreciate all the help received!

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Looks good and it is almost all stock from the looks. Little high on price for my area but hes a dealer so bargain it down. Take for a ride and make sure everything works make sure the 4X4 works.

As far as price for your car I got nothing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would have to say 6500 seems pretty high. Considering my 88 is almost entirely new except the body and tyranny, I wouldn't ask for more than 5k. However, Jeeps are seriously popular and anyone will eventually buy it at that price. So I would say, take a stack of cash on what you want to pay and see what he will take.

·
Registered
89YJ 4.2 - currently installing Sniper EFI. 4"lift, 33" tires, yada yada
166 Posts
$6500 is too high, but he's a dealer so you got expect that. Looks to be in great shape. And looks to be stock, or close to it. Are you looking to use for off roading at all? Mud, trails, rock crawling, etc... Reason I ask is because you will have to invest in a lot of mods depending on what your looking to do with her.

You say it had engine work done recently... What did it have done? Depending on how the previous owner(s) took care of it (or didn't take care of it), you might be getting close to a bock rebuild. The straight 6 is a great block so 100K is usually still a baby if (and that is a big "if") its been well maintained.
The ad says its an Auto but the pics show a stick. I mention this because the next thing to consider is the AX15 tranny. How did it shift?

So, to circle back... I think $6500 is high for her. You can get a pretty well upgraded YJ for that... If that's what your looking for. By upgrades, I'm talking about lifts, bigger tires, etc... Again, if you care about that.
If your looking for stock, then you can find them cheaper. If you like stock, throw $5K cash at him and see how it goes. Be prepared to go to $5500, but that even seems like a lot for a stock YJ.

The 3 biggest things to consider... Rust, engine, and transmission. Those 3 things can lead to a huge money pit. But if all 3 are satisfactory, then I'd feel better about it.

Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
166 Posts
After re-reading the ad, I saw that's an '87. So that means it has the BA10 tranny. Not great.

Nah man... $6500 is just too high. I'd pass and wouldn't look back. There are plenty of jeeps out there. Craigslist is a Goldmine for great jeeps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So looks like your not set on a YJ.
This one looks like a ton of miles and only a 4 cylinder. I'm not excited about it.

One quick response to your comment about the carbureted 4.2.... Sure, the fuel injected 4.0 might be a "better" option (some might argue that), but I'd take a 4.2 over a 2.5 (which is what this one is) any day. I wouldn't be scared of the 4.2. Again though... All depends on what you want to do with her. Just looking to mall crawl I'm guessing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts