Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need advice or options in upgrading my steering. I have a Rusty's tie rod w/ stock drag link. Long story short the Rusty's tie rod and TRE stripped out and I can't get a new one threaded. The M.O.R.E kit I looked at was for SOA and I only have about a 4.5" RE lift on mine. Does anyone know of any good options for a bolt on kit that would upgrade my steering?

2 years ago the whole steering was replaced from the pitman arm up to the steering wheel and the tie rod but not the drag link.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Currie!!!! almost twice as thick as stock!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I know everyone says Currie but they don't make anything for the YJ. I looked on their website and even called them and they recommended me to M.O.R.E. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I just ordered their F8.8 axle swap kit and it was definitely worth the money. It was beefy and fast shipping. I will be buying from them more often as they are good on prices and quality does not slack for the lower pricing. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I got the Rocky Road high steer kit. My tie rod and drag link sit well above my axle now. I have smashed my front axle into some stuff without any damage to steering. I think it would work with only 4" of lift, but you would have to check.

Here is my setup.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks nice but that set up is for a SOA only, I checked it out the other day but I am running SUA. Not nearly as many options for that set up. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As long as you are lifted it should make no difference at all. If you are SUA the springs are still under the tie rod, just farther under. Not like there would be anything in the way. If I wanted to use SUA springs on this I could, I would just have to make sure it didnt go too low, but I bet I could keep it on if I dropped 2"-3" and went SUA.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe the Rocky Road High steer kit is different and would work. But I talked to both M.O.R.E and Teraflex about their High Steer kits and they said it really won't work unless you are a SOA. Maybe I will try calling Rocky Road.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI for anyone on this Ruffstuff kit. It comes with 48" tubing that you cut to length per your application. Then you weld in the bungs to allow for the 1 Ton TRE's. The other catch is you need to ream or drill out your knuckles and pitman arm to allow for the 1 ton TRE. So if you are willing for some minor modification and have access to a welder this looks like a pretty good option at a relatively low cost. I think this is at the top of my list at the moment.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Maybe the Rocky Road High steer kit is different and would work. But I talked to both M.O.R.E and Teraflex about their High Steer kits and they said it really won't work unless you are a SOA. Maybe I will try calling Rocky Road.
The roacky road kit is around $500. I know you can just bolt the brackets to your knuckles, but with any steering modifications a welder should be involved. No room for failure. So needless to say mine is bolted and welded on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since I have a SUA I don't see a whole lot of reason to mess with a high steer since its all over my springs anyways. As you can see my current geometry is perfect between my track bar and drag link.

image-3082175313.jpg

So my goal is to just beef it up for larger tires and abuse it sees since the Rusty's tie rod stripped out. It looks like this kit will allow for increased durability with keeping good geometry and require minor changes. It would be nice if this option is available with Heim joints vs. TRE's.

image-3001453359.jpg

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/YLINK.html

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just throwing this out there, not sure if it's what you are looking for though. You can use the stock steering off of a V-8 ZJ and it will bolt up to your axle. The tie rod is beefier than the YJ's but the drag link is the same diameter. It won't be as strong as the aftermarket stuff, but you can get it at any auto parts store in stock usually.

I just did this to a friends TJ and it was truly a bolt in swap. I like being able to go to a parts store and get what I need right now instead of waiting for someone to ship me something custom, even though I might be buying parts for a Chevy or Ford to fit my Jeep.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Since I have a SUA I don't see a whole lot of reason to mess with a high steer since its all over my springs anyways. As you can see my current geometry is perfect between my track bar and drag link.

View attachment 274555

So my goal is to just beef it up for larger tires and abuse it sees since the Rusty's tie rod stripped out. It looks like this kit will allow for increased durability with keeping good geometry and require minor changes. It would be nice if this option is available with Heim joints vs. TRE's.

View attachment 274561

"Y" Link Steering using GM 1 Ton TRE - RuffStuff Specialties
The biggest benefit of high steering is offroad. I have hit quite a few things that would have disabled me in the middle of nowhere, instead they just hit my axle which can take it. One of the best thingsa I have ever done to my Jeep. Tree stumps buried in crap, and rocks rubbing my axle are no problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OverkillYJ do you have a SOA lift? That reason makes a ton of sense but with my current set up it all sits above the spring and level with the axle.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
OverkillYJ do you have a SOA lift? That reason makes a ton of sense but with my current set up it all sits above the spring and level with the axle.
Yeah. All I am saying is if you are going to completely overhaul the steering, moving it up and out of the way is something worth looking into. It is more then just good for SOA is what I am trying to get across. I originally did it to correct the drag link geometry, then I realized how beneficial it is after wheeling it with the new setup. I also saw someone snap their tie rod end at 11 at night in the woods where even built jeeps have a very hard time getting in. That was like 1 month after I did it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts