Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I have a set of rigid industries dually lights. I would like to do away with the switch that comes with them and replace it with a 12v rocker panel switch I bought online. As you can see in the picture, the R.I. switch has 4 wires coming out the back. Two are red, and two are black. One red and one black run out of the switch and up to my lights, the other red and the other black are ran to my battery. The back of the rocker panel switch I would like to wire in has a red wire (12v power in), a white wire (accessory relay) and a black wire (ground). I am not the least bit electrically inclined, therefore have no idea how to replace the R.I. switch with the rocker panel switch. I am not currently running my Rigid Industries lights into a relay. They are hardwired to the battery. I was under the assumption this was okay due to the low amount of amps they draw.

Thank you guys a ton for the help.

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram supplied with the lights? Does the red and black from the R.I. switch run to the positives and negatives on the new lights? If so, it sounds like they have both positive and negative switched for some reason unless they are just using a common terminal on the switch for a harness continuation. Is there a relay involved in this hook up or is it just battery > fuse > switch > lights?

Edit: Never mind the last question...just reread your post.

If the black goes to the negative on the lights, wire the black that comes from the battery together with the black to the lights, and the black on the switch, and tape them off. Wire the red on the switch to the red that comes from the battery, and wire the white on the switch to the red that comes from the lights. Be sure you install an inline fuse in the red lead close to the battery. If these are LED's (you should really know the wattage) I would start with about a 5 amp fuse if you're not sure of the power draw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts