Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2004 tj, i put the taillamp guards on it the other day, now the left side had a wiring harness but i didnt see one on the right side so i cut the wires to pass through the guards, now i have no brake or running tail lamps, but i have turn signals, then if i put the jeep in reverse the running lights come on. i totally am out of ideas, i match the wires up right; purple to purple, brown with a yellow stripe and a dark brown or black to black, any help would be totally appreciated.

·
Wrecktrician
7,349 Posts
It sounds as though its trying to find a path to ground. Check to make sure you the lights are grounded, both of them.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Grounded should be to the body.. I'd have them soldered.. Solder iron can come in quite handy so its good to have one.. 25-30 bucks gun works perfectly :) I got one like this one and it has never left me down clicky

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If they are wired correctly and you have double checked then it could be a ground problem, or on rare cases a wild splinter making contact through the tape. Did you solder them back and tape or did you just twist them. Also if you pull them apart again and haven't already. Use heat shrink around the soldered joints and then tape over them.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Both tail lamp assemblies have a plug in. The passenger side ALSO has a wire setup that runs to the button connectors for the 3rd taillight. I cut mine when I went to the LED's, but those plugs ARE there. Looking back, I should have gotten some different connectors and plugged them into the OEM plug, but I wasn't concerned about going back to standard taillights with 2 4.5" holes in the back of the Jeep. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Your wiring is not correct. If it were just a ground problem you would get NO lights. Mr C is right, check and recheck your wires. If I were you I would redo it just to be sure. Make sure you are using solder and covering every open connection with electrical tape. Don't use duct tape as it is a conductor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts