Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 2.5L 4cyl wrangler automatic. I am looking to put a 4" RC Suspension lift and then some 32s or 33s tires. Do you think I will lose a lot of power because of the bigger tire size. Let me know what you think. I need some opinions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes it will feel like you have 75 horsepower instead of 105. Tall tires also kill the gear ratio, especially in an automatic. Will definitely look cooler tho :

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will I have to change any gears in the rear?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it will feel like you have 75 horsepower instead of 105. Tall tires also kill the gear ratio, especially in an automatic. Will definitely look cooler tho :
That is why I am not sure what to do because I want bigger tires. I went to a 4x4 shop and the owner has a 95 2.5l and he has 33s and he said he cant go into 5th gear anymore but it still cruises down the highway. Would I have to change the Gears or will it just lose some power?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so if I go with 32s it will just lose some power.

·
Registered
483 Posts
just go all the way you already have 4.10s down the road you can regear check out the local community collage they will do the swap for you as a class project free labor is awsome

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else. I want to know what people think. 32s just lose some power but still be fine?

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Are the looks you want, that important? I only ask because if you want the "feel" of having the power with those tires, you will want to change gears... most go with a 4.88 ratio FRONT AND BACK axles. That costs PLUS the price of your tires. Now I don't know anyone who has ever been happy with the 2.5 four banger coupled to the automatic transmission... so I really don't know if you will ever truly be satisfied. If I was you, I would "suck it up" and save up some money. Then sell your jeep and buy one with the six cylinder and a standard transmission. You will have the power you need and a dependable platform for the "looks" and power you want. Many jeepers do this, in your situation.

Also, the modifications you mentioned are not a "build," only a "lift." Just thought you should know correct terms. Good luck with it and with your decision.

Take care,

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in the same situation but i have a standard. I am not to sure how well it would work its mostly for town but i have hopes of wheeling some. What do you guys think? also i don't like the look of a big lift with small tires.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm going to run 37s on my 4 banger just gear down it done and enjoy. the nice thing about wheeling with a 4 banger is you don't tend to break parts as often at the 6cyl and V8 guys do.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I ran 33's on my 94 yj and yes, you can forget about 5th gear, not only is it severely underpowered to run in overdrive but the strain will eventually shred the teeth off of the gear inside the transmission. Other than that I could cruise at 70 on flat ground just fine. The other thing you are going to need to consider is that you will need to put in a slip yoke Eliminator and a new rear drive shaft. I was replacing my rear u-joint about every 5-6 months on a 2.5" lift.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just do what I am doing. Yank out that 2.5 and weak tranny and go to a 6er or a v8. In reality if you don't mud much and don't cruise the highway often you would be fine. You can easily city drive with that combo but if you hit a highway with a hill I hope you can draft well. The jeep I just bought from my dad is a 94 2.5 with 5 manual. It did alright with the 4.10s and 31 inch all terrains. But it will not get the job done with the lift I want and the 33's, that's why it is getting yanked.
Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts