Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm experiencing some issues with shifting and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I was driving on the highway in traffic when my clutch finally wouldn't let
me put it into first gear even with the pedal depressed all the way down to the
floor. (I can get it into any gear w/ engine off & the pedal feels stiff)

Prior to this the only problems I noticed included a whining/whirling noise after releasing the clutch pedal (probably the throw out bearing) and I'd occasionally feel the clutch pedal click on it's way down. The clutch has never slipped on me before.

After reading through various threads on clutch/shifting related problems it seems I should start with checking the hydraulic system. Can anyone confirm that this is a good place to start? if so does anyone know of any thread that has a decent walk through on checking to see if the slave/master cylinder are bad? (I couldn't seem to find one =/)

hope to hear back from someone soon!

Cheers,

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I've tried so far:

I removed the slave cylinder from the bell housing and had someone pump the clutch.
The slave cylinder's rod/piston/whatever it's called thing that's supposed to extend to
engage the clutch fork seemed to work properly. Clutch went in and the slave cylinder
extended with considerable force, enough to over power my hand trying to keep it from extending.

So moving on I decided to check to see what the clutch fork felt like so gently pressed up against it with a long screw driver. It wouldn't budge at first but a slight tap with very minimal force got it to move freely. It moves back and forth about an inch or so but there is no resistance what so ever. I'm almost positive that it's supposed to have some kind of resistance. It also moved up and down about .25 of an inch. Does anyone know what a normal clutch fork should feel like? any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts